Author Topic: sleeping thru night - 7 weeks  (Read 1341 times)

Offline damara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
sleeping thru night - 7 weeks
« on: September 23, 2005, 05:45:12 am »
Hi. I am a new mum with a 7 week old son. I have tried to have him on EASY since day 1 and for most parts it works ok but sometimes he can be a little off.  I keep trying to put him back on schedule by at least keeping his meal times every 3 hours (he is bf), but sometimes I find that he has it all backwards and Eats, Sleeps then Activity. He never falls asleep at the breast but always seems to want to go to sleep approx 5-10 mins later. I've put up with this because by having at least those few minutes break between Eat & Sleep, I don't think he is learning to use my breast as a sleeping prop or am I wrong?

What I would like to know is, at what age should I be teaching him to drop the night feeds (at least the 2am feed). He was born 6lb2on (3 weeks early) and is now nearly 12lbs, so I believe at this weight he should be able to hold out longer at night.

Has anyone got any input on this or am I expecting just a little too much at 7 weeks?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 12:51:32 pm »
hi there,

7 weeks is still a little early.  some bf babies do start dropping 1 night feed at this point, but it does take some others longer.

since he is bf, he may actually need to eat more often than 3 hours - like every 2.5, since breastmilk is digested so quickly and their tummies are so tiny.

as you said, the main idea is that they do not associate feeding with sleeping.  as long as he is not sleeping at the breast, you are probably okay.  are his naps a decent length?  (like 1.5 hrs or so?)  if they are shorter (like less than an hour) i would be more concerned that he is associating feeding with sleeping.

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline damara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 09:33:42 am »
Hi Thanks for the reply.

His naps do tend to be quite short - usually one sleep cycle (40-45min). So if he is associating sleep with feeding, then I obviously must work on keeping him awake after a feed. The only thing I'm worried about is because he has been in this cycle of Feed, Sleep, Activity, by switching it around to Feed, Activity, Sleep and keeping him up for 1 hr after a feed, he'll get overtired and then I won't be able to settle him for sleep at all.
He already has trouble napping during the day and sometimes it's an effort just to get this short nap out of him.
But I will try

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 12:33:11 pm »
let me clarify... at this age they will be up for the most 1 hr - and that includes feeding time.  it sounds like your lo is giving clear tired cues - and you're doing a great job reading them!  i would aim for maybe 10 minutes after a feed and then go down for the nap like you have been doing.

since he's waking after 1 sleep cycle (and i'm assuming waking cranky), you will likely want to check out the nap boards for more ideas on extending naps.  10 weeks is when my ds started the 45-min nap thing, and those ladies were lots of help!

hope that makes more sense!  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy