Author Topic: 6 1/2 months old and full of bad habits.....I need HELP!  (Read 1383 times)

Offline newmom2300

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 1/2 months old and full of bad habits.....I need HELP!
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:29:46 am »
Hi everyone. I've just joined this board, and I'm quite happy that perhaps my questions may finally have answers. This is going to be a long read, so I warn you now, lol. I just picked up Tracy's book The baby whisperer, it got recommended to me by a friend. So far, it's very interesting, but I don't know where to start and which issue to adress first, lol. I'll give you some background on my little guy and I hope I can get any imput.
My son Scotland will be 7 months on October 2. He's a big boy, already weighing 21lbs and is about 29". He has never had a set routine, except the last 2-3 months or so I've been giving him a bedtime routine of bath and then breastfed to sleep. He has never slept through the night except for twice where he slept for 8 hours straight. He get's up usually around 10am ( i know it's late, but I am NOT a morning person) and usually goes to bed around 8-9pm. My husband works late, so the only time I really get to see him is later at night, so we usually sleep a little later. Scotland is a good eater, he started on baby food about 2 months ago and hasn't had any problems since. I'm still breastfeeding and giving him solids about twice a day. My main issue is that he goes to bed around 9, wakes up at about 12-1am, then every 1-3 hours until morning and insists on eating. His wakeups are usually pretty random, but it's usually within an hour or so each night. I've created a bad habit since day one. When he used to wake in the night I would automatically feed him back to sleep, so he's soooooo used to this. I don't think he's hungry at night, but it's become such a habit that he comes to expect it. He's still sleeping in our room in his crib because he wakes so often it's just easier for both of us. When he wakes at night, I usually let him fuss a few minutes before I pick him up, then I pull him into bed, feed him (he usually nurses from anywhere between 10-15 minutes) then I put him back in his crib, put the soother in his mouth and he's back to sleep. Ultimately, I really want to get him on a "routine" of waking the same time each morning and going to bed the same time. I like Tracy's "schedule" but I"m sorry to say, I cannot wake up at 7every morning, I would never see my husband if I did. SO i'd like to stretch it till atleast 8 but ideally 9am. I don't know where to start. I don't think he's eating enough during the day, so I want to start giving him more feeds, but do I address that first, or do I start getting him to sleep alone and without any props for naps (PU/PD) and hope that he learns to stay asleep at night if his days are a little longer....I'm lost and I need help desperately. He only naps twice a day for a max of 2 hours, but I don't think there's enough of a time stretch in between. I go to school a few days a week and I can't keep living like a zombie. Any advice on what has worked for anyone here? HELP ME PLEASE! LOL :cry:
Thanks!

Scotland 03/02/05  The best thing since sliced bread!

The decision to have a child is to accept that
your heart will forever walk about outside of your body.

Offline PaulaPR510

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:18:08 am »
First of all, I'm no expert. I to am fairly new to this site. But this site and the book have helped me and other ppl that I have told them about baby whisperer. My baby is 9 mo. and I used to nurse her to sleep. so instead of EASY, I was doing AESY. the problem with this is when baby gets up in the middle of the night, and they can't find the boob to go back to sleep, they cry out. First I changed that. When it was time for bed, I gave her a pacifier (which she only uses to sleep, it is prohibited otherwise). At bedtime, I used PU/PD until she got the picture that she was to stay down. I started PU/PD at first at bedtime, cuz since she was sleepy anyway, she would stay down after only a few tries. Then I started using them at naptimes too. I also upped her calories during the day from 6 to 8 onz. and cluster fed her later in the afternoon. When she would wake up in the middle of the night, I would use PU/PD and the pacifier until she stayed down. You can also try wake-to-sleep... study his wake times for a few nights and when u see a pattern, set ur clock for an hour before and stir him just a little to get him out and back into his deep sleep. After a few night, or perhaps a few more, he should stop getting up at that usual time he had. Plus, u have to get everyone on board if u want this to work... this includes daddy and babysitters. Try getting daddy to go to baby in the middle of the night. Another suggestion is to get baby into his own room. sometimes the baby hears u moving around in ur sleep and they wake up. I would say most importantly, get baby into a routine of EASY, and stick to it and get everyone else involved to follow it too. Stop BF to sleep. I hope I helped. Good luck!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 00:27:51 am »
You've been given some good advice already & I just wanted to add, that if you need/want your day to start at a certain time, then that is when you should aim for. BUT nature may mean your lo, wants to be up at dawn, so you will have no choice, although if he is up at 10 now, sounds like that may work for you.
I would start working on the day... look at the Easy Forum for routines of babies about the same age & shift it to the time you want to start the day ie rather than 7am, make it 9 or 10am & work from there. (you probably need to have a bed time about 11 hours before the wake up time)
Given his age he should soon be physically capable of going 10-12 hours without a feed, so I don't suggest a dreamfeed. Try to up the food/feeds in the day & with the first night feed, don't offer it, but do pu/pd - look at the pu/pd forum for how to do this properly as it can be worse if not done properly) The feed all the other ones, so the plan is to eliminate the night feeds one by one starting at the beginning of the night.

Also it might be a paci problem too... what are your lo's day naps like 45mins or longer
Does he wake up if the paci falls out? Or does he spit it out as he drifts off to sleep?
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline newmom2300

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 06:20:56 am »
Me again. Well i took a look at the pu/pd forum and even left a message myself. I briefly tried the pu/pd, just to see how he would react, I didn't actually start it officially yet, but i noticed, he'll start crying and as soon as i lift him up, by the time he's barely 3 inches off the mattress, he stops crying, so i don't know if i should put him back down immediately or comfort him a little and then put him down even though he's not crying. Other than that, the paci helps him to drift off to sleep. As soon as he's just about to drift off i'm able to take it out of his mouth and he's fine, as long as he's just about to conk out, or else he starts looking for it again. As well, most times just as he's about to drift off, he usually spits it out, BUT he won't fall asleep without it. So i want to try and break him of that habit, and I think that may cure him from waking up so often, because he hasn't learned how to fall asleep without sucking. I just don't know how to break him of his feeding at night, that's my issue. Like I said, I don't mind feeding him 1-2 times at night, but it's getting him past that 3 hour mark that is really hard. I think when he gets to that light sleep stage, he wakes and can't settle himself again. I'm just not sure what to do with the PU/PD since he stops crying when I pick him up. SHH/PAT works when he's going to bed, but it doesn't work when he wakes in the middle of the night, it only makes him more awake and anxious. So I'm a little stuck, lol. Thanks for your imput so far.
Thanks!

Scotland 03/02/05  The best thing since sliced bread!

The decision to have a child is to accept that
your heart will forever walk about outside of your body.

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 05:33:01 am »
Assuming that he's getting enough calories during the day, he may be waking up out of habit.  If you're comfortable with him crying a little, that may help break the habit.  I found that my daughter would cry a little intermittently through the night.  As long as it wasn't a bloody murder cry, I would ignore it for 5-10 minutes & she would settle down.  It worked to get rid of her waking up at around 11pm after only doing it once or twice.  If she cries for more than 10 minutes though, I would do the PU/PD until she calmed down enough to go back to sleep.  I started doing this because I noticed during her daytime naps that she almost always starts fussing for a minute or so after about an hour of sleeping & if I ignored it she would just go back to sleep.  I still haven't quite figured out how to get her to sleep straight through the night as she still wakes up once.  But at least most nights, I can get at least 5 hours in a row now.