Author Topic: 45 minute wakeup: growth spurt or problem!  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
45 minute wakeup: growth spurt or problem!
« on: September 25, 2005, 17:00:29 pm »
For the past three days, my 10 week year old son has been waking up from his naps after 45 minutes.    So instead of a few long naps a day, he is taking 5 or 6 45 minute naps.   

I have been re-reading Traci's problem solving book and she points to few options:   a possible hunger issue, starting a bad habit or it being his rhythm.    I think I can rule out the last one, as he is cranky, not happy when he awakes.   But I can't figure out if its a sleep problem, or a hunger problem.  This last time I decided I would treat it as hunger and feed him.   It had only been an hour and 45 minutes since he last ate.   He took about 2.5 oz (normally he takes 4-5 oz) and then didn't want anymore.    I tried to adjust his cycle, by then having awake time, but he only lasted about 15-20 minutes before he was yawning all the time.  So back to bed he went!   Did I do the right thing?   

Traci mentions that as they move to sleeping more at night they need more calories during the day?    I have tried making bigger bottles, but he won't take them.

I would appreciate any advice, as I am a FTM.
Thanks!
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 17:21:14 pm »
Hi

This is very normal at this age.  From 0-3 months babies work on organizing their night sleep. From 3-6 they work on organizing their day sleep. What is happening is biological and is a normal blip.

You can try to extend the naps with wake to sleep so that she gets used to the sensation of going from one sleep cycle to the next (i can send you tips on this if interested).  Some have success w/ this method.

Plan on moving her towards 4 hour EASY when she is 3.5 months or so.  The increase in A time usually helps correct the 45min naps.

I would also recommend you read the announcements about teaching sleep on the top of this forum.  As now is the perfect time to starting working on teaching falling asleep independently.

Hope that helps.

Offline Mom2Ben

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 20:21:51 pm »
Thanks Michelle.

I would love some tips on wake to sleep.   Anything!

Thanks
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 20:43:38 pm »
Here's a few options i have collected from others who have posted:

Jane did this w/ success for her king of short naps.  I set my timer, in case I got busy. When it near the time, I oh-so quietly crept into his bedroom, once he stirred, I placed one hand on his back and one of his thigh. I didn't say anything, make any sound. Just as subtle as possible. I stayed like that until he returned to deep sleep, and slowly lightened the pressure of my hands.

I did this: timer (for 30min if your LO wakes then) and crept into her room.  I had a drawer full of paci's so I didn't have to dig in the crib for it.  As soon as she stired, I lightly put the paci to her lips.  She took it, i would move out of sight and sometimes she would right back to sleep.  If she opened her eyes and saw me, forget it.  I would have to do shh/pat for 15-30mins to get her back to sleep.

Don't expect instant results w/ for us it worked 50% of the time.  We would then use shh/pat for the remainer of the nap time (30-40mins).

Good Luck!

Offline Mom2Ben

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 22:12:44 pm »
Thank you!  I think I will give it a try....
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005