Author Topic: 9 week old breastfeeding every 2.5 hours  (Read 2139 times)

Offline ckwilder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 23, 2005, 17:28:55 pm »
Hello-I am new to the forum..sorry if this question has already been answered....my daughter is 9 weeks, breastfed only...95% percentile for height and weight...eats 30-45 min every 2.5 hours...I have been unable to advance feeds to 3 hours, even by a few minutes..she cries until I finally give in...any ideas as to why she is eating so often?   I suspect she may have reflux as well...

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
9 week old breastfeeding every 2.5 hours
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 18:18:33 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it- Caeden was stuck in that 2-2 1/2 hour routine till just this last week. He is a little over 3 months now.
I think sometimes bf babies can't go as long as ff! Esp when the are young!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 18:26:11 pm »
I agree, it is normal for breastfed babies to need to eat more often than ff babies.  Breastmilk can be digested in as little as 2 hours in the early months when thier tummies are still so little.  Your milk adjusts to meet your babies needs so when her tummy gets a little bigger she will be able to go longer between feeds.  Right now just keep feeding on demand, it is best for your supply anyway. She will also go through growth spurts at certain times and you will also notice an increase in the need to eat which in turn lets your body know to make more milk as she is growing bigger and needs more.  HTH.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline ckwilder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 19:29:40 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement...wish she would space it out though..I can't get anything else done!!!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:02:22 am »
It'll come, don't worry!  If she does have reflux, it should get better as her tummy gets more mature.  Make sure she's getting a full feed every time - use breast compression, maybe switch to double side feeds if you're not already doing that...  But the other ladies are quite right - a lot of bf babies just can't stretch it to 3 hrs for a while! :roll:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:49:42 am »
My lo couldn't make it past 2h - 2.5h until she was over 3 months. It was an improvement over the 1-1.5h up until she was 5 weeks.  :shock:

Hang in there. It will change as her tummy gets bigger and she learns to be more efficient at emptying your breast. My lo can now go over 4 hours if we are out and about and she has been doing so since she was 4.5 months. The transition was very quick.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada