Author Topic: Night Wakings/Teething  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Night Wakings/Teething
« on: September 23, 2005, 20:16:29 pm »
Hi!

I've been reading lots of posts lately :roll: related to night wakings and teething. Many of the lo's show similar symptoms (he was a great sleeper at night, and suddenly... or he was a bad sleeper and now it's worst... you name it) but with slight changes that have us mommies, confused about if it's teething, or developmental, or accidental parenting, etc...

Then, after some weeks we realize it's teething (Because either, the teeth plop out or the symptoms become clearer) but the damage is done: lots of weeks worrying, lots of approaches, real accidental parenting,e tc.

What I wanted is that all of us that had already realized that our bad nights were due to teething, to post a long detalied post about the symptoms and what did we do. THat way, some other mommies will have more info on hand about this.

I'll start with my story and see if anyone comes on board! :wink:
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Night Wakings/Teething
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 20:24:10 pm »
Backround: DS was 13 months old, a great night sleeper, on routine since he was 4 months old, no traces of Accidental PArenting on sight, independent sleeper.

Issue: He starts waking some nights and becomes more difficult to settle back. Then one night he FREAKS out as in a night terror, won't want to be rocked or held, won't accept milk/water. Pain meds (motrin, Tylenol) won't make a difference. He's only comforted by being patted during HOURS at his crib or by coming to sleep at parents bed

What happened: We decided to go for the "patting at his crib" solution. Then the wakings became predictable: 12 and 2 Am (with 30 mins of range for each one). We'd have to pat him for 15 min and then stay in a mattress at the floor for at least another 40 min (that's when we were confused and thought about separation anxiety combined with a bad habit).

Solution: One night that disrupted the pattern because we had to spend the night outside home. He was in a strange environment and therefore, couldn't sleep well. But that broke the 12-2 pattern. Then a visit to the ped, who informed us about the teething and prescribed a stronger medicine.

How we confirmed it was teething: White gums a couple of days later, New med kicking in an helping him to sleep from day one, itchy gums and all the other teething sings became clearer by week 4 of the night wakings. Dr said that since our baby is a textbook one, he was being comforted by the patting even when he was in pain :cry: he said a
spirited one or a touchy one, would be clearer in his/her pain sings.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
Night Wakings/Teething
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 14:36:22 pm »
Good thread! We have a spritied one here. How do we know it's teething? Up for two hours at night with nothing to help. He does respond to Motrin though. Ok, nothing to help is not quite accurate, patting will help sometimes, but most often it won't.

Generally, we had a really rough month. He is normally happy in the day care, but at home he has been quite fussy and edgy, with often night wakings.  We were wondering if we were doing things wrong to cause him such an unhappiness at home. Granded he got 5 teeth out in that period, but we really didn't it can go on for that long. Then suddenly, after his first molar came through, he was a new kid. We just had four most blissful days (and nights).

Ineresting thing is that his bottom right molar has been on the verge of coming out for several weeks now, but he wasn't responding to the teething gel. To my surpise, on Thursday, I noticed that his left top molar came out! I had no idea that one was coming. No wonder the teething gel didn't work.

Per doctor's advice, when he is irritable in the evening, we give him preventive Mortin before bed. That gets him through the lighter sleep in the evening and usually makes it through the night, although he wakes up early. I'm now starting to think that his early wakings are due to the teething.

Also, the doctor said, that sometimes they don't have sympthoms during the day, it just shows up at night. I guess, it's because there are other distractions during the day.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007