Author Topic: 6 Month Old Struggling with Teething and Vacation Aftermath  (Read 1044 times)

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 Month Old Struggling with Teething and Vacation Aftermath
« on: September 23, 2005, 23:38:46 pm »
Hello!  My 6 month old DD is having major trouble going to sleep (naps or bedtime).  Before this we were able to put her down with paci after wind down and she went to sleep with little to no fussing.  We just got back from a 5 day vacation and she is teething (which I think is better now), but she just goes into hysterics when I walk in her room. It's obvious that she knows she's about to be put to bed and does not want to. 

Question: We currently do 2 naps and a catnap.  When do I tweak this?  Could she be trying to eliminate a nap?

Gigismom

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 00:10:18 am »
in our experince, my dd wasn't ready to lose the catnap until 9 months.  but yours may be different.  does she seem not tired or just doesn't want to be put down?  if she seems not tired, maybe you can try increasing the awake time a bit.
around 6 or 7 months, my dd, who always goes down well for naps, started doing the same thing as yours.  when it was nap time, out of the blue, even though she was tired, she would cling to me and scream if i put her down.  i really think this was separation anxiety.  it also disrupted night sleep a bit at the same time.  i think it was sep. anx. because she did not do this when dh put her down.  have you tried letting someone else put her for a nap and see what happens?  what i did to help my dd was give her an extra long wind down (lots of one on one attention right before nap) and then try to lay her down.  i let her cry a bit, sometimes she would settle.  other times, when the crying got intense or went on too long, i would rock her.  bad, i know!!  but it got us throught that time.  she did it for about a week and hasn't done it since.
i am sure your vacation has her thrown a little.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 01:48:08 am »
Yes, I think your vacation threw her off her routine.  Also, you may have a spirited baby on your hands.  My spirited ds knew when we were heading towards the bedroom from 4 mo!  He did (and still doesn't) want to go to sleep but boy does he get cranky if he doesn't get his beauty sleep!!  :lol:

How long has your dd been fussing during naps (in other words, when did you return from your vacation)?  The most important thing is to make sure you do not veer from your routine, even if she's acting up.  If you change something for 3 days then she could get used to that and expect it (thereby causing more fussing).

Also, make sure that you are putting her down for a nap when she starts getting fussy rather than by looking at the clock, because by then you are either handling an overtired baby or one that isn't ready for a nap.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna