Author Topic: How do I get her to sleep in the car?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: September 23, 2005, 23:52:30 pm »
I want to get my 8 week old onto a 3 hr EASY routine but the pick up/drop off for my 3 year olds preschool is getting in the way.  I need to have her sleep in the car (the whole round trip takes 40 minutes).  If I try to put her to sleep in the crib and then move her to the carseat when it's time to go she wakes up and doesn't get in the 1 1/2 hour nap.  I've tried doing the regular naptime routine and then lay her in the carseat instead of the crib but she wakes fully and cries as soon as I try to buckle her in.  I can't really put her in the carseat happy and awake and expect her to doze off in the car b/c by the time we're ready to leave she's already passing the sleep "window" and getting overtired.
Any suggestions?
Kate

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 00:38:56 am »
Can you do any other errands where you don't have to get her out of the car before the pickup? i.e. drop off letters at the post office or go to the bank drive thru...I just realized I'm thinking about occasional trips and not everyday pick up. I'm sorry I didn't really help.

Minerva

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
How do I get her to sleep in the car?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 00:49:32 am »
You could ask someone to help with the pick-ups or drop-offs. I did this for my SIL, my neice needed picking up from school so I did it for a semester since her lo was sleeping.

You could also try to go early, walk around the neighborhood of the preschool with the infant car seat in the stroller so she stays asleep.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 22:10:43 pm »
Preschool is only Tuesday and Thursday.  I don't even have to get out of the car.  The parents just line the cars up and drop the kids off at the door one at a time.  I think that's part of the problem.  The car stops moving for a while while we're waiting, then it's stop and go until it's our turn.  I try to get there early so we're at the front of the line, but maybe i'll try waiting until later and drive around until there are only 1 or 2 cars in line.  I think this would probably be easier if it was everyday so she knew what to expect.  Thanks for suggetions.
Kate

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
How do I get her to sleep in the car?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 21:26:26 pm »
Same problem here only it's Monday thru Thursday  :cry: . Not sure if you swaddle or not but I found if I swaddle her up in her carseat she knows it's nap time and sleeps. Kiddopatomus has a swaddle blanket that has the carseat slit in it and everything.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05