Author Topic: Help! Nursing strike in action!  (Read 5205 times)

Offline babymurr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! Nursing strike in action!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 01:10:45 am »
Not that I can remember...she is upstairs sound asleep right now.  I will hve to have a good look in there in the morning.

Can she still pull milk out even with comfort nursing?  I pumped just a while ago and noticed that I was quite down in the side that she was the 4 mins on.
:D
angie

Mommy to Branden  16/12/01
and Grace 04/07/05

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09:40 pm »
Monday Sept 26 update:

Ok, not really a step forwards or backwards, sort of sideways.  I tried nursing her in her room with the lights very low, right when she woke up.  Didn't work.  She is an extremely happy and active baby when she wakes: smiles, kicking, arms flying everywhere and lots of squeals and laughs.  So needless to say when she awakes, she is awake

I brought her downstairs to nurse on the pillow on the couch like usual and she was OK laying on the pillow.  I had her head laying right beside my breast and twice she turned towards me, rooted and actually put my nipple in her mouth, but pulled away before any actual latch occured.  That "twice" happened in a half hour span that we sat on the couch.

Needless to say, I ended up pumping yet again and fed her with a bottle.  She was very eager to eat and everytime I went to burp her she would lean forward and suck on my finger.  Why there and not my breast???  Good thing I have the pump......
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2005, 12:11:59 pm »
GraceKellysmom: no white spots in her mouth anywhere that I can see other than the one at the back.

right now she has her hand stuffed so far in her mouth that she is muffling her little cries to the point she can barley get them out.

teeth????
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 15:52:02 pm »
What's the word on seeing the lc?  She'd be able to help you identify if if's thrush too...

If it IS teeth, you could try some tylenol.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2005, 16:46:33 pm »
Public Health Nurse is coming to the house tomorrow morning to see her to check to make sure that there is nothing health related wrong.  She said to keep on doing what I am doing.  everything she suggested on the phone you ladies have already said and I have tried.

Grace let me put my nipple in her mouth again after waking from her nap but did not latch.  At least she is not screaming at me.  I am going to try the "sneak the nipple in" game again tonight before she falls asleep for bedtime.  I keep trying each time I feed her as well but she is pretty quick on the draw and pulls away and looks at me as if to say "what do you think you are doing???"

I am on my way out to get the thistle herb and if there is nothing that the PHnurse can do for me then I am going to push for a LC appt.  Not too sure why she didn't give me one right off the bat...I am going to question her about it tomrrow....

Has been a bad day for naps today as well...seems to be waking crying with fist shoved in her mouth and I know it is not hunger because of EASY.

(*sigh*)
 :?
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2005, 17:01:00 pm »
Sounds like good progress is being made! I have heard they often gradually go back to nursing and not just all at once. Hang in there - she'll go back! Just wanted to encourage you - you are doing great!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2005, 23:46:21 pm »
Poor little girl!  And poor mommy!!

Let us know what she says.  Although I caution you that not all public health nurses are created equal....she's probably not as well trained in breastfeeding as an lc - nurses have to be more generalists.  I would definitely push to see an lc asap - you've been struggling with this for long enough!
Erin

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2005, 23:58:38 pm »
OK...I am making some progress here! :D   I caught her half awake 2xs this afternoon and managed to get her latched and even a bit (very small bit...but every bit is a small step forward, right??) of actual sucking!  Some of it was even with swallowing, not just comfort~nursing.  So that is a step in the right direction.

I also managed to win at "sneak the nipple in" tonight and got her on both sides for about 8 mins.  Neither side was strong "eating" sucking but at least my nipple stayed in her mouth after I pulled the bottle away and she wasn't screaming or pulling away and she was sucking.

My one major worry now is that my supply doesn't drop while I am waiting on her to come around.  I am pumping as much as I can and drinking lots of fluids.  I added the blessed thistle today to the fenugreek.  I hope she comes around soon!
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2005, 00:02:55 am »
Erin~ I am definately pushing for a LC appt regardless.  While I ws talking to the PN on the phone she was reading from a book...Newman's...at least she was using a good book, but I didn't feel that she really was all that knowledgable in all things BF related.   With her coming out to the house she can at least make sure that Grace isn't sick or teething etc and then I can go on to the LC.

I will let you know what happens.
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2005, 00:03:10 am »
Whoo-hoo!!!!  That's great!! Keep up the good work!  :D
Erin

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 00:51:48 am »
Wow, I love the determination in your words. Way to keep at this!  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 15:41:50 pm »
Ok..Update for Tuesday:

Saw PH Nurse this morning.  She actually took a course with Jack Newman and was quite good.  I found out from her that here in Waterloo region they have LC's for babies up to 4 weeks...?????  What???  Do they not need help after that???  That was why she didn't offer me an appt with a LC right away..because there isn't one here for me to see.  So, she is getting me the #'s for Guelph General as well as a lady in Hamilton.  She also suggested that I try the domperidone, so I have an appt with my GP tomorrow morning at 9am.  I would have gotten one today but she is out of the office all afternoon.

Anyways...while PH was here, of course I get Grace up from her little catnap and she latches right on like as if there has been no strike at all!  I looked at her in total disbelief...making a liar out of her mother!  Now mind you, she was pretty dopey form the nap and I literally lifted her up and put her on in one motion so she had no time to think about it.  I switched sides and had to use the bottle again to coax her into latching on but she did it but didn't really suck.

PH thinks that it is a supply issue and that Grace has figured that while going through her little growth spurt that it isn't worth her time to try to nurse because she isn't getting much.  So, I guess that is now my hurdle to increase my supply and hopefully that will brng her back around.

Thanks so much ladies for all of your help and encouragement!  I most certainly could not have done this without you.  I would have given up and been depressed about it.  You are fabulous! :D
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

stasztk

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 16:26:31 pm »
My goodness! You are an inspiration to all of us! You are incredible. Keep working on it. I just know she'll come around
Hugs

Offline babymurr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2005, 00:02:22 am »
:D  :D  :D !!!  She latched on all by herself tonight with NO coaxing from the bottle just her and me and me patting the crap out of her bum and shushing her.  She did it, both sides for about 5~6 mins.  I could 't believe it!  I am trying not to get my hopes up too much for fear of disappointment if things don't go well tomorrow, but at least I know she can do it!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!.. for all your help!
 :D  :D
angie

and Grace 04/07/05

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2005, 00:35:23 am »
I can hardly wait to hear about how tomorrow goes!!!!! :D
Erin