Author Topic: how long to keep the water??  (Read 1729 times)

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
how long to keep the water??
« on: September 20, 2005, 13:59:04 pm »
I always made dd's bottles in a batch for the day and stored them in fridge so now ds is here I have been doing the same for past 11 weeks.
At playgroup today I was looking for somewhere to heat his bottle and one of the other mums told me of an easier way to make his bottles, which I had never thought to do.  She said that she makes 8 bottles with just measued out water in, and stores them in cupboard at room temp, then adds the formula when it is needed.  This way no need to heat cos it is already room temp.  Great idea I thought but am now wondering... how long can you keep the water at room temp in cupboard?If I made 8 bottles it would last a day and a half so is it safe to keep the water like that overnight? Sounds silly I suppose as it is only water, but just want to check.
if anyone could offer any thoughts that would be great!
Thanks for reading,
Becky

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 14:17:34 pm »
Hi Becky

I used to do this with my DD. I would make the bottles up with cool boiled water and add the formula when needed. I used to make all the bottles in the late morning and they would last okay until the early AM feed the next day.

I also used to make one more bottle than she used so I would have an extra one if she was more hungry.

We never had any problems using the water the morning after, which i guess was about 20 hours.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 14:20:10 pm »
I can't imagine that there would be a problem.
We use bottled water, and most of the time don't put it into the fridge.

As long as the bottles are sealed to keep out dust and things, you shoudl be just fine! :D

It's amazing the tips you receive from people sometimes, that you say "WOW, Can't believe I never thought of that!!!".  The tip about the bottles you're describing was one of those lightbulb moments for me too!!
I always struggled on how to keep his formula cool while we were out and about - we always carried a cooler with ice packs! :shock:   One mommy I knew finally mentioned doing it the way you were told, and I went DUH!!  What a great idea!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 15:15:38 pm »
Becky

Have you seen the Avent formula dividers you can buy? They have 3 sections and you put the required amount of formula in each one then just tip it out through the hole in the lid (which spins round). It was definitley one of my best buys. I think I got mine in Mothercare.

love
Marie

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 15:20:27 pm »
Yeh thanks, just bought one at Sainsburys, cant believe I didnt think to do this before! Its such a simple thing!
Thanks to all!

Offline babesx2

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 15:39:18 pm »
hi

i woz told by my hv that u can keep cooled boiled water at room temp for 24 hours,so that wot iv been doing and makin up as i go along,plus usein bfree bottles i cant find a insulated bag that they fit to keep them cold and this way is so much more simpler

sarah x

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 16:58:22 pm »
I think as the other have said 24 hours is ok, the only thing that might happen if you leave it any longer is it tastes a bit stale

Offline CC's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 07:18:56 am »
We put the bottles with the boiled water in the fridge and just take them out well in advance of the feeds.  Sometimes they are there until the following day and we have had no problems with our DD so far (she is 4.5 weeks). I also bought the divider....not used it yet as not brave enough to go out for any length of time.

Marie - just noticed you are from St. Helens...my husband is from there and we are massive saints fans.  Are you a supporter???   :)
Mum to Caitlin, born 24th August 2005