Author Topic: trouble settling so she can sleep!  (Read 1505 times)

Offline ehanway

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
trouble settling so she can sleep!
« on: September 24, 2005, 14:37:36 pm »
Hi all,
My dd is almost a year and I'm beginning to have trouble with her going down for naps and bed.  For a few months now I've been putting her down w/ paci and she has been great about getting herself to sleep even if it takes a little while.  she will babble and crawl around before she gets tired and just lies down and goes to sleep.
Lately(past week or two) it seems to take longer and she goes past the "window" and doesn't get a nap.  I had one day this past week where she had no nap at all dureing the day and was so tired at bedtime that it took forever to get her settled and to sleep.  That said once she's asleep she's ususlly good about staying asleep. 
Any ideas about what is going on or what I should do?
Thanks,
Elizabeth :)
Elizabeth

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 04:01:43 am »
How many naps per day?  Can you give us an idea of her daily routine?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline ehanway

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 16:48:28 pm »
She usually has two naps/day
Her schedule has been (more or less)

7am wake and bf
8 am breakfast
9am morning nap (1.5-2 hrs)
~11am bf
play
~12:30 lunch
play
1  -1:30 down for nap(sleep ~1.5hrs)
3pm bf
play
5:30 supper
bath
6:30 bf
7:00 bed

BTW last night it took 3hrs for her to get to sleep.  Dh spent about an hour  with her.  She was so tired!   
As part of my original question should I limit the length of her naps?
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 04:47:41 am »
It looks as if she has a very long stretch between the second nap and bedtime, whereas her awake times in the morning and mid-afternoon are approximately 2 hours each.  The end of the day is when she is most tired, so she's most likely overtired by the time it's bedtime.

My suggestion is to shift the naps so that they are slightly longer in the morning, so you have closer to 2 hours between the last nap and bedtime.  At her age she should be able to handle more than 2 hours of awake time before her first nap.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 05:49:31 am »
My DD had a routine just like this from 3-11mo. I never knew why she needed to go back to bed so early in the morning, but it suited her and she was happy so we just let her do her thing.

She started at 11mo to want to drop a nap, but was unable to cope with how long she was awake after having such long naps in the day previously. I tentatively staarted to make the early morning nap a little later and tried to do exciting things in the afternoon to keep her awake. I'd usually go out in the car so she could nap there and back but was awake for longer. We then had a lucky break cos we had visitors and a holiday where our routine wnet out the window. By the time we got back she was on one nap a day, usually between 10.30-12.30.

It depends on your child if they can take this approach, DD is very amiable and would go along with what I was trying, if you have a touchy baby this may not work. BTW we did have a fair few bad days and nights when she wouldn't sleep cos her rotine was changed but now we're out the other side it doesn't seem so bad and it was worth it.
Kimberley

Offline ehanway

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 15:32:42 pm »
Thanks for the input.  It has occured to me that she was going down for a morning nap too early but she yawns, rubs her eyes and gives me all the "sleepy signs". This morning she didn't start those until about 9:15.  I've been sort of just going with the flow and followng her signs so I've been confused about when she is really ready for her nap.   
We have a trip coming up at the end of the week so I'm very nervous about how that will affect the routine.  I have a feeling I will have a job geting back on track when we return. 
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Diego's Mama

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 17:49:31 pm »
Try stretching out her awake time by fifteen minute increments over the course of a few weeks to stretch out that morning awake time.  She's beginning to balk at the two naps, but as above poster said, the transition to one is long.  My son is fourteen months, has made the transition recently, and will go a good three hours midday now.  I used to take him for a short car ride or walk in the late afternoon/early evening if it was clear he needed a catnap and wasn't going to make it to bedtime.  He simply howled at being put down in his bed for the catnap and since I knew it was temporary, would wiggle in a quicky nap on the go as needed.

Also, consider teeth and walking milestones as possible disruptions, but the naps are definetly a factor too.

Keep in mind you may wind up readjusting bedtimes, etc.  I always base naps and bedtime on time awake and fluctuate as necessary.

Best.

Offline ehanway

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 19:47:31 pm »
Just a quick update.  Looks like I she was ready to extend the A time after all.  I put her down after being up for about 3 hrs this am and she was up for only a few minutes before she drifted off to sleep.  Hooray!  I was hoping that the afternoon nap would go just as easily but sadly no.  I put her down about 2:40 as I had been getting the sleepy signs.  Well she whined and cried and moaned for about 45 before she wore herself out and went to sleep.  I am afraid that I waited a little too long.   :roll:   BTW how much time should she spend awake in the crib before falling asleep?  I am afraid 45min or longer is too long but not sure.

Good point about the teething.  I think she has a couple more coming in so that could be making a difference. 
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 20:58:53 pm »
Hi there

Diegos mama already said my post! Teeth, teeth, development and about to drop a nap but not quite ready for it!! We did (and still do if needed) the 10 min PM catnap in the car/buggy.

Also I tried not to get too stressed out about naps after Liv was 1 as she would sleep at some stage of the day whether it be a.m or p.m as she was trying to get to one nap and it was all over the place for a while.

It's a really bust age for everything which is probably not what you want to hear but just treat it like a challenge and enjoy the fun that come with i too, they really start to become REALLY good company from here on in!

Sara