Author Topic: Activities for a week old?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Michael's mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 24, 2005, 15:33:36 pm »
Right now, he just looks out the window, at the wall paper. I sing, and we dance sometimes. Is this enough? SHould I be doing more? What other things can I tell my caregiver to do when I go back to work?

Thanks
Jess
Happily married to my best friend

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Activities for a week old?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 16:28:53 pm »
What you are doing is fine. Any more than this will just overwhelm him. As i read somewhere....."less is more when it comes to babies". 

Especially as he is only a week old, just looking at you is enough for now. When he gets to a few months old he can handle a little bit more like going under his gym or looking at bright objects.

You could show him a piece of paper with black wavy lines on it appaerntly because there eyes are not fully focused yet this makes the lines appear to be moving.

Kelly x
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline CarlyK

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:22:00 am »
Congratulations!
Just let him look at you!  All he needs right now is to get used to life outside the womb!  He'll keep himself entertained for those short periods he should be awake anyways!
Enjoy this time!  I miss it some days!  Get some extra cuddle time in!
Carly

Tysen - 04/13/02 My Spirited Angel
Rylen - 07/05/04 Another Spirited Angel

Offline bekah77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:18:17 am »
My baby is 3 weeks old and doesn't seem to like an activity time.  He eats and then I change him and play for a couple of minutes, then he is ready for sleep.  It is like he doesn't like to be awake at all.  Does this seem normal??

Rebekah

Nate  9/6/05

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 02:03:27 am »
Rebeka, my ds #1 was like that for the first month, he was awake long enough for a feed, change & settle for sleep again.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Megan1969

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 17:34:22 pm »
My 2 week old sleeps beautifully through the night waking to feed every 4 hours.  my problem is during the day she seems quite wakeful, and when i put her down just to look out the window or at a picture etc she lasts about 1 minute and then starts squawking which then turns into a full on cry until i pick her up.  She is not tired, she is fed, and she is clean.  But i just dont know what sort of activity to give her to entertain her for the 30 mins or so before i put her to bed.  I talk/sing to her etc, but i also need for her to be content just to lay and look at things while i am around, but so that i dont have to be constantly in her face....any suggestions?

megan
Mother to Zoe Alexandra born Sept 05 & twins Abbey & Daniel born March 07

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 18:27:20 pm »
My LO just lays in her bassinet now. She's still awake quite a lot but I find that when I just lay her down in her bassinet she'll lay and coo for a while and eventually just go to sleep on her own. She's laied awake for an hour sometimes 2 at times.
I know she's supposed to sleep more but she's not complaining and she's content just staring at the side of the bassinet so I leave her there. Eventually she just drifts off.
Kimberly