Author Topic: will go down for naps but is fighting bedtime...HELP  (Read 1067 times)

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
will go down for naps but is fighting bedtime...HELP
« on: September 24, 2005, 15:55:32 pm »
We are at the point where I can swaddle my almost 4mth old at naps and put her down.  She will go to sleep on her own.  However this past week has been horrible for bedtime.  I tried doing the same windown as naps and that didn't help either.  I feed her at 7pm for the last time and try to put her down starting at 8pm.  Last night it took until 9:30pm until she finally fell asleep.  I know she is tired but she is protesting like crazy.  She will cry and when my husband picks her up she closes her eyes and stops until he places her down again.  I am confused because she doesn't do this during the day.  When she does go to sleep she wakes frequently (very restless) until her middle of the night feed.  She is swaddled also but breaks free from all the fighting.  Should we try putting her to bed earlier?

Any advice would be appreciated.....
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline Tannis

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 17:20:46 pm »
Hi there, my little guy went through... and still goes through the exact same thing, but what I'm finding is that if I just take him to bed and make the room completely dark and just lay him down unswaddled he will play and talk and wriggle for sometimes up to 45 minutes, but most times will then fall asleep.
Have you been holding your baby until totally asleep? I'm still having good and bad nights, but he used to fight like crazy and I've found letting him unwind in the dark on his own really helps. Sometimes he starts to cry and if he cries for longer than a few minutes I pick him up again, but more often than not, after the wriggles, sleep prevails!!
Tannis

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 03:37:40 am »
What time is her last nap and how long is it?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline ellujoji

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:00:50 am »
My 4 month old had been going to sleep by himself for almost two months and remained asleep until about 6 or 7 am.  Ever since he found his thumb, getting him down for naps and bedtime was always fairly easy. 

For some reason, over the past 3 weeks, he has been resisting/fighting going to bed.  The bedtime routine has been the same.  He cries after a few minutes in bed and stops crying when I walk back in the room.  This can go on for hours.  Sometimes, I restart the whole bedtime routine again (without the bath)...and then I put him back in his crib.  Same results.  PU/PD doesn't seem to work since he only gets more upset each time I put him down.  Once he is asleep, he continues to stay asleep until morning.

During the daytime, he just transitioned to 2 naps of 2 hours each and the 4 hour schedule.  I wonder if it is teething but no sign of it yet, although he is drooling and chewing on everything he gets his hands on.

Anyone has any advice?

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:38:10 pm »
He's pretty young to only have 2 naps, though 2 2-hour naps are awesome!  Can you add a catnap before his bedtime?  It's possible that he may be overtired by bedtime and that's what's causing the wakings.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna