Author Topic: Difficulty with Dream Feed  (Read 1687 times)

Offline JabesMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Difficulty with Dream Feed
« on: September 24, 2005, 20:47:15 pm »
My son in 4.5 months, post colic and recently put on 3 hour EASY.  I started there cause he was on nothing and couldn't go all the way to 4.  I tried the DF at 11 two nights ago with a bottle.  I am 99% BFing but noticed in the book she said it could be easier with a bottle.  Well he only drank 2 oz and then was WIDE AWAKE.  It took us an hour to get him back to sleep and then he woke up at 1:00 am ready for food.  I actually heard his stomach growl.  He typically wakes three times a night with no real pattern except for the 5:30 wants to play time.  I can always get him back to sleep within a half hour though.  I'm hesitant to try again with the DF and am so so so so so very tired of all the waking.

My husband tried the DF again last night and he only took 2.5 oz.  His last feed was at 7 and he took a full feed.  he went back to sleep faster this time but was up at 1:30 again ready to eat.  DH got him back to sleep and he was up at 3:30 screaming for food at which point I fed him and it took another 1/2 to get him back down.  then he was up again at 5.  There are no medical issues and he's not screaming other than last night at 3:30am but he's just so used to getting fed when he wakes up and now  I don't know how to stop the cycle.

I'm in some dire need of assistance here.  Both my husband and I would love a 5 hour stretch AT LEAST and it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon.  I'm hesitant to just push him through with no food since he is an enormous baby (21lbs) and really chows down when I do feed him at night.  Is it the bottle he's rejecting?  He takes it pretty good during the day.  I don't know how to get a BF baby to eat more during the day without putting the feeds closer together.  This is not a growth spurt since it's been going on for more than two weeks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 00:56:23 am »
Sometimes that dream feed can be tricky - you have to catch them at the right place in their sleep cycle or you can mess up the whole night.  :roll:  It can take a while to get them used to it too, and also I did a dream feed with my son with the breast, no problem.

So before the dream feed, what was his sleep like? You said his last feed is at 7. When did he go to bed? When was his first waking? How many feeds is he getting during the day/from one or both sides? Have you done anything else new to his schedule, as far as introducing solids/getting vaccinations recently/new schedule or activities during the day?

I had a very big baby too, he ate twice a night until he was 9 months old, and still eats once a night occasionally.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline JabesMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 21:23:12 pm »
Thank you so much for replying. 

His first waking is usually around 11:30 - 12:30 range.  He's on a 3 hour schedule right now cause that's what seems to work with his naps.  He's down at 1.5 hours.  I'd love it if he could stay up 2 hours but WOW is he a bear if we push it right now.  He feeds off of one side, normally but I've noticed that my right side doesn't produce as much so sometimes he needs a bit more from the left.  he'll fuss and whine and take it if offered but not all the time.

Last night I swaddled him.  I couldn't take another night of his crazy arms waking him up.  So i fed him at 7:30, swaddled, 10 min wind down, 20 minutes of crib side shsh and wave machine and he was out til 11:50.  I wanted to see if the swaddling would make a difference.  I fed him and was able to get him back down easy.  He woke again at 4 and again ate and back down easy.  Then up for the day at 6:30 but no so hungry.  This is the first time I've only fed him twice in about a month.  So I keep swaddling then?  We stopped a while back because we thought it was making him mad but I think I've discovered that he was angry cause he was tired.

I guess since I've read the book I've been feeling like I should be trying to get him off the night feedings all together.  If he stuck to this schedule for a few weeks I would be happy.   I almost got him back to sleep at 6:30 had it not been for what sounded like 100 fire engines going by the house!! 

It feels better knowing that others are still feeding babies at night.  My daughter was still doing at least one waking til 9 months too.

When should I start working on weaning off that last feed?

Thank you.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 00:36:13 am »
Yeah, they usually can't go beyond that 3 hr schedule until their awake time lengthens, and that's different for every baby. When you notice that he can stay up a bit longer, then he is ready!

Sometimes babies need that swaddling, at least their lower half, until they are really crawling around their cribs. For this winter you could try a Halo Sleep Sack, not quite a swaddle but better for crawlers. My ds was a tummy sleeper because of reflux, he liked to be tucked in tight with his swaddling blankets and later loved his sleep sack. It makes them feel secure.

Most babies wean off that first night feed first. He is giving you a 5 hr stretch - not awesome but pretty darn good. It is probably hard for you because you don't go to bed until much later, right? We usually see babies start sleeping until 2 or so, and some will still wake at 6 and some sleep through until later.

I think it perfectly normal for breastfed babies to wake a time or two to eat at night! And it is hard to remember that he could be waking for other reasons - developmental or teething or tummyache - and realize he is hungry and gee nursing sounds like a great way to get back to sleep!

How old is you dd now?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline JabesMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 04:43:45 am »
I can't tell you how much better I feel reading this.  I've been feeling some serious pressure to drop feedings but the whole time really feeling like he's not ready.  It's hard to balance what you're feeling with what you might think is "best" for him.  He's 4 1/2 months now. 

My 2 1/2 year old daughter Grace was a great sleeper early on and still didn't sleep through the night til 8 months.  I guess I've been stressed that since the colic he's never going to be a good sleeper.

I swaddled him again tonight and he went down from swaddle to sleep in 20 minutes.  I'm crossing my fingers for another 4-5 hour stretch tonight but not counting on anything.

Thank you so much for the stress-relieving words.  It's great to be able to get some clarification and feel like I am doing something right.

Jenn

Jabe 4 1/2 months
Grace 2 1/2 years

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 18:25:53 pm »
Isn't that sweet, our Grace's are 2.5?  :wink:  Mine was an awful sleeper, until she outgrew her reflux at 11 months, and has been a super sleeper since then. Funny how I was just reading that some 40% of toddlers and nearly 35% of preschoolers still wake once or twice a night and need help getting back to sleep.

Check in anytime. Listen to your mommy instinct, and take what works for you from BW and fly with it. Your ds sounds like he is doing great.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies