Author Topic: Transitioning to 4 hr EASY  (Read 1324 times)

Offline emjohnson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Transitioning to 4 hr EASY
« on: September 25, 2005, 05:22:47 am »
My lo will be 4 month on 9/27.  I would like to try to get on the 4 hr EASY, since she is spending more tme awake now and I find that her naps around 45 minutes long and then it is time to eat again.  I am breastfeeding now, but feel like I am loosing my milk supply.  This kind of concerns me.  I don't want to try to transition and then loose my milk because I am feeding her an hour later.  I am also wondering if I should start her on cereal.  I will know for sure on the 28th if she has doubled her birth weight.  I am pretty sure that she has considering she was 7lbs 5oz at birth and weighed 12lbs at her 2month check-up.  Again, this has me concerned about loosing my milk.  There is apart of me that wants to feed her the cereal, because she is big and strong, she rolling over already.  But then there is the part of me that really enjoys breastfeeding and I want to wait until she is 6 months.  I kind of got off the subject.  My real concern is transitioning to 4 hr EASY.  Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 14:04:04 pm »
Well, as for the 4 hr easy, she may well be ready!  The best way to know is to slowly stretch out the feeds and see how she does with naps etc.  But you want to do it gradually - do you have the latest book?  There are some nice suggestions for the transition in there.

With respect to starting solids, I personally really feel that babies should wait until they're 6 months old - size has nothing to do with it.  I've known some really huge babies that were exclusively bf to 6 months with no problems.  And starting early can cause more problems that it's worth - tummies aren't mature enough to digest solids, so she might get gas or wake from an upset stomach, not to mention the association with allergies.  Most pediatric agencies are strongly recommending waiting until 6 months too....just a thought...

Why do you feel you're losing your milk supply?  FOr most women, around 3-4 months, your milk supply really stabilizes - you stop leaking, feeling engorged, that sort of thing.  So some moms think it means their supply is going down, but as long as the output is good (dirty diapers and weight gain), you don't have to worry.

All this to summarize: if you feel like she's ready for a 4 hr cycle - try it!  But slowly!  Keep breastfeeding, if you enjoy it, and wait for 6 months to start solids, if you're agreeable. HTH! :D
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 20:03:58 pm »
She really doesn't need anything but your breastmilk until 6 months or older. Baby foods are a huge marketing ploy - she doesn't need them nor will they do you or her any good. So many moms start them and then stop because their baby's have digestive issues. Constipation, gas, allergic reactions, change in poops/smell of poops, etc. Solids are a pain!

As for the 4 hr schedule, she may or may not be ready. I think a lot of babies around the 4 month mark get into that 45 min nap thing. If you are concerned about your supply, you should actually be nursing more frequently - not less. Make sense?

Is she double or single side feeding? How long is she nursing for? How long are her awake periods?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies