Author Topic: EASY plan naps going to pot - really need advice!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline nikipowerssa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
EASY plan naps going to pot - really need advice!
« on: September 25, 2005, 17:21:18 pm »
I began using the EASY plan at 7weels old as I discovered I ws feeding way too much and she had become a snacker. It all went like a dream on the first day then she began to resist sleeping despite showing obvious signs - yawning, even eyes closing. Nights were going well still ( 6hrs, 3/4hrs) until 3 nights ago.
We had begun to swaddle her and ssh pat when she showed she was tired but after setting the scene had not settled in cot. She began rage cries which would last over a couple of hours each time - swaddle and pat/ssh would usually calm her, we stayed sshing for 20 mins as the book said and finally left but after about 40 mins/ 1/2 hr she would wake and begin a rage cry within seconds. I tried every logical step - she knew where she was before going to sleep but this made no difference. She had always being able to go straight to sleep after bath ( the one routine I had with her before EASY) and now that has disappeared. She now has started to rage cry on the nights too and I am, for the firsttime, utterley exhausted and at a loss as to what to do next. I keep very calm with her - have a lot of patience and resolve but I got upset today and cried. She eats every 3 hrs ( is only 10.4lbs at nearly nine weeks so I know this is right time) and is now eating for about 20 mins ( I know still not as much as she should but a hell of an improvement on before - only 5 mins). Then it all goes wrong. She will 'play' ( I never put her on the gym mat longe rthn 10mins and has onlky a few toys to stimulte) and can be content to look around for about 15 mins. She then duely lets you know she is getting tired ( the yawns, disengaging) but will not entertain sleeping - we have a black out blind in her room and it is very quiet but even this has no effect. It has gradually deteriated to the point that she no longer sleeps really during the day and I am seriously worried! With night sleeps going to pot too it is all becoming one long continuous cycle of feeding and rage cries every 3hrs. We never leave her to cry it out and I don't offer the breast or let her stay in our bed. She has her own nursery where she has slept, quyite happily, since 3 weeks. PLease help - I can cope knowing she will eventually get out of this phase even if it takes months but I just cannot work out why the naps have dissintegrated and why she rage cries ( I know she is over tired but even when she had had a great nights sleep, she would do this after the first feed of the day). I used to be able to get loads done and now I have to lay her, crying, outside the toilet just to use it!
mum to izzy - currently 5weeks old

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:17:19 am »
Hi Nikki,

First off, big hugs to you. I've been where you are and I know how hard and overwhelming it is. 

She sounds like just a little wee girl, just 10 pounds so let's look at keeping her awake time as short as possible.  With newborns, the window of opportunity is so quick, it's better to anticipate the tiredness.

You are doing everything right-- swaddling, setting the stage, doing a wind down routine.

What I recommend is using a soother, when she is way past the point and fatigued.  Sucking is soothing for newborns and since they don't have the ability to self sooth just yet, a soother can be a useful tool.  Tracy has always recommended using a soother for under 3 months of age.

Now if you are concerned about creating a prop dependency-- make sure she doesn't have the soother in her mouth for the complete duration of her nap. Once she is asleep, and in deep sleep, then remove the soother.

One last thing, growth spurts occur every 3 weeks-- 3 weeks,6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months (12 weeks).  This will throw off the daily routine and night sleep.  When everything goes off kilter and it's around these weeks, then a growth spurt is occuring.

Hope this helps, hang in there it will improve!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 01:18:21 am »
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-sleep-to-newborns-and-young-infants-vt39164.html

Here's a link to our newborns and sleep thread.  There's information about partial awakenings, teaching sleep etc.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline nikipowerssa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 08:12:55 am »
OH MY GOD - I NEVER CONSIDERED IT COULD BE A GROWTH SPURT! I HAD BEEN LEAD TO BELIEVE IT WAS ONLY 3MTHS AND MTHS, ETC FROM NOW ON.  IT WOULD MAKE SENSE WITH WHY SHE HAS BEEN WANTING FOOD AFTER ONLY 2HRS - I HAD BEEN MAKING HER WAIT!  MANY THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS- I DO USE ALL OF THESE (ESPECIALLY KEEPING THE ACTIVITY SESSION SHORT - SHE USUALLY LASTS LESS THAN 1/2HR BEFORE SHOWING ME SHE IS TIRED AND I DO KEEP THE SESSIONS FROM BEING TOO STIMULATING. 

NOW- SHOULD I FEED HER WHENEVER SHE ASKS DURING GROWTH SPURTS?  SHE HAS SCREAMED SOP MUCH SHE NOW HAS A SORE THROAT!

Offline nikipowerssa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 10:22:21 am »
I read your message and fed her immediately after.  She fed for about 10mins then completely zonked out asleep for 1 1/2 hrs!  She then woke and began to cry again.  I checked what she wanted and she was definaetly asking for more food.  I fed ( had on sports bra at the time as wa not expecting her to feed again so soon and had booked a place at the gym creche).  She fed for 5 mins.  I stopped her feed to readjust bra 9was hurting as is not designed to come off at all - VERY supportive bra!) and she zonked again!  Laid her on her rocker chair where she has NEVER slept before and she was out for the count. 
Now I do not want to let the routine go completely but she really was not getting sleep before.  I am aware that I might pay the price tonight - she definaetly has not swopped day for night (yet) as last night she went from 6.30pm ( I do give her a 'top-up feed after her bath at about 7 to make up for all the food she spits up during the day) until 12 midnight then from 12.30 to 4.30am.  (She did not take her dream feed at 10 despite all attempts to feed). 
Hmmmm......am delighted she is sleeping proper times but now slightly concerned she is sleeping quite so much!  Is this common for growth spurts?

Offline nikipowerssa

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 21:12:47 pm »
No cries today except for around 5pm.  Went to sleep in her Dad's arms on the sofa for a short evening nap before her bath ( only sleep of the day that she resisted as previous with horse screams whenever put down after pat ssh.  Did not expect her to sleep after the bath.  Initially she seemed to be dropping off in my arms after crying then became wide awake.  Turned on the mobile as I feared the worst and ran to go to the toilet expecting to be in the nursery for a long time ( she almost never cries when I turn on the mobile - used infrequently though as she usually sleeps ok after bath).  Was going to  go back in when I realsised she was not rage crying when the mobile stopped.  Whinge cries only with pauses so I used the talk part on the monitor to say ssh every time she whinge cried.  This continued for about half an hour ( I decided not to go in unless she started to rage cry and needed me) then.........quiet!  Turned up the volume to hear her sleep breathing ( heavy and regular)!!!  I had put a mulsin cloth I had been using during feeding near her head tonight - never thought to use this before.  I have no idea what tomorrow will bring but have decided to only stick to EASY in terms of the order.  I hate having her rage crying so much that she loses her voice and to think this could have all been because she was going through a growth spurt and needed food makes me feel a bit guilty for trying to stick to the 3hrs so doggedly.  I will listen to her needs more in future without offering the breast as a prop. I think routine is essential ( I am a teacher so know the practical values of this) but I am beginning to realise that Izzy is her own person and will do things differently to other children.  She wil not run the show completely but- like my classroom, I will be in charge with compromise according to the needs of the children.  Hope I have finally chosen to do the right thing.  I was so in control as  a teacher and knew how to handle difficult situations despite every day being different.  It stood me in good stead for parenting in some ways but I really feel like I have fumbled my way through so far and I just want to do the right thing for her!  I don't expect things to stay the same or work smoothly ( it never does in tesching - you are constantly changing and adapting to the situations as they arise) I just hope it takes me less time to figure out a good instinct and experience for parenting than it took me to become a confident and experienced teacher!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 00:41:23 am »
Hi there,

Hang in there. Becoming a parent is the ultimate learning curve! You learn quickly!

Give yourself a pat on the back, and remember to enjoy these crazy, chaos-filled days.. believe it or not, you will miss them!!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001