Author Topic: AESY baby fights feeding when awake  (Read 1401 times)

Offline crobc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 25, 2005, 19:38:01 pm »
Hi:
Our girl Nisha is 5 months old.  We got her on EASY at about 3-4 months.  Suddenly at about 4 mo, she had a rapid personality growth spurt, becoming extremely interested in everything around her and in interacting with our faces.  After that point, she began fighting breastfeeding when she woke up.  She also stopped the pattern of getting obviously hungry and crying, then immediately suckling earnestly when put to boob.  Now she quirms and fights.

She also stopped eating regular amounts at feedings.  Now when we think she should be hungry 4 hrs. after a last feeding, she just doesn't eat.  Maybe 2 minutes, then squirms, cries, and fights.  In fact, she almost never cries from hunger anymore.  What happens now is she basically won't take a good meal until she is ready to sleep.  Then she may take a large feeding, 20-30 minutes.

Fortunately, she still can fall asleep in her crib by herself (she often wakes just when put in the crib, but then goes to sleep on her own) since we had taught her to sleep previously.

So there is very little pattern left, where we can count on her eating well every 4 hrs. or so.  Instead it seems we must wait until she is ready to eat.  She just wants to goof off all the time, and there seems to be nothing we can do but wait it out until she's ready.

Any suggestions?

I don't like this because I feel the baby often gets overtired.  So even if she is hungry sometimes she fights and cries for awhile before accepting the boob.  I feel terrible for my wife when this happens.  For the first 3 to 3.5 months it was very smooth.  Now it seems very difficult.  Trouble is, she doesn't feel there's as much of a problem as I do.

Is there a straightforward algorithm to get an AESY baby back to EASY, who seems to have developed an extremely playful personality that makes her uninterested in eating from the moment she awakes?

Thanks for input.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
AESY baby fights feeding when awake
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 23:45:17 pm »
We too usually have to wait for about 1/2 hour after dd wakes in the morning before she'll be interested in eating. Have you tried that? The main reason for having eating before activity is to teach babies how to fall asleep independantley and not on the breast or it will become a prop and they'll always need it to fall asleep. I think if you just try to keep some activity time at all before sleep it's okay if your lo isn't on an "exact" schedule. Know what I mean? And it sounds as though she's a good sleeper. Also it's not uncommon for babies to become distracted eaters once they cotton on to this whole big world out there! Too much to do!  :D  Have you tried feeding (or your wife that is) in a dim room without too much stimulation? Also babies do become quite efficient eaters as they grow... I think if she's gaining weight well and is happy you may just have to ride it out. Do you want to post what your days are looking like?

Sorry it's taken so long for a response!  :oops:  We'd love to help if we can!

Take care,

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline violet41

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: AESY baby fights feeding when awake
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:48:23 am »
I have the same problem with my 5 1/2 month old.  She's never hungry when she wakes up in the morning - she can go from an hour to several hours before allowing me to feed her.  I try feeding her even ten minutes before she's due for a nap and she just arches her back away; then I put her down for a nap and leave the room - and then she screams the house down wanting to be fed.

Even though she usually wakes up just before going back in the cot, I wonder whether she's developing a eating/sleeping association.  Either she needs the feed to in order to relax enough to sleep, or she is only willing to feed when she "knows" that her play time has ended.  She's spirited and very distractable.

I'll be interested in seeing what advise you get!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 15:45:00 pm »
Hi there.  Have you checked out the thread concerning spirited babies at the top of the forum?  I believe there is discussion about feedings.  I'm sure it is important to try feeding in a calm, dark room with little distraction.  Also, you may want to check with her doctor to make sure there is nothing physically wrong since she's arching her back.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline violet41

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 08:47:19 am »
Thanks hwcampbell.  I'm already feeding her in a dark room with no distractions etc, but I"ll have a good look through the spirited baby support group to see f I can find any other ideas.