Author Topic: Weaning Problems  (Read 1247 times)

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 25, 2005, 19:40:20 pm »
I've been trying to wean DS who is 12 months for the last several months. This week it seems like we are going backwards. He will take the sippy cup of BM or rice milk and drink it and then want to breastfeed also. I get the same results with offering a snack instead of the breastfeeding. I've tried to distract him with toys too. He just becomes extremely clingy, whiny along with major crying and screaming. I think he might be teething but I don't see any new teeth or bumps. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm trying to cut the daytime feeds. If we are out and about he does fine, its only when we are home.

Minerva

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Weaning Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 19:52:38 pm »
When you offer the sippy, do you do it in the highchair? Sometimes that can help, or at least not giving it in your normal bfing place. I also gave dd a small snack, a couple biscuits or some fruit, for her snacks that replaced nursings. Avoid that nursing spot, keep him busy with other activities.

If he is so reluctant, you could try waiting a month or two and trying again. Not sure what your motivating factor is again, I apologize. I found that my 14 month old is a much more independent 'baby' than he was at 12 months old. They change so much!

(He teethed all four of his molars almost overnight at 13 months - have you checked that yet?)
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 21:39:20 pm »
I'll try the highchair. I usually just find a spot for him to sit or hand it to him in the kitchen while I'm doing other stuff.

I have mostly fed him at my desk. Since I do spend a lot of time sitting at my desk chair then maybe he just associates it with eating when he comes over for a hug or to be held. I'll have to experiment with this.

I'm just ready to be done breastfeeding. I need to spend more time on my business so I don't have to go get a real job. The bills are taking over. I'll just keep trying. You are right. I may just have to wait an extra month or two.

Thanks for your help.
Minerva

Offline GraceKellysmom

Weaning Problems
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 00:44:09 am »
Can you believe we made it to 12 months so far????  :D  :D  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline matt&chris mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 03:31:13 am »
I'm really amazed we made it to 12 months.

I'm very happy about being able to eat my dairy even if he still can't.

Minerva

Offline GraceKellysmom

Weaning Problems
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 18:22:30 pm »
Oh that's awesome! :D
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies