Author Topic: bfs how long and how much for a 10 week old?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
bfs how long and how much for a 10 week old?
« on: September 25, 2005, 19:41:36 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how long my daughter should breastfeed for.  She is 10 weeks old.  I'd also like to know if the amount of time should be reduced as she gets older.  I've asked my docter and the lactation consultant and anyone who'll listen but the answers all seem to be "until she's done or your empty".  However, she would staylatched for hours and I always seem to be able to manually express some milk no matter how long she eats.  I currently nurse her for 30 minutes ever 3 hours.
Also, when I pump breast milk how much should I pump for one feeding?
Thanks.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 19:59:25 pm »
Each baby is so different, your question is really tough! It depends on her size and how often she eats and how big her tummy is too.

My guess is 3-5 oz if she is eating every 3 hrs.

I always can express some after my ds has fed - sometimes up to an oz on the side he was eating on.

When she nurses, do you hear her actively suck-swallow? How long does she nurse before it becomes suck-suck-suck-suck-swallow? When her swallowing lessens, have you tried offering the other side?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 15:52:02 pm »
She feeds for 30 minutes but that is because I cut her off then.  I've decided to only do one breast at a time to make sure that she gets both the fore and hind milk.  I'm not sure how long she feeds before she sucks a lot before she swallows.  She goes in spurts  with the swallowing so it's hard to tell how long.  She about 11lbs and 5oz now, if that helps.

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 18:43:45 pm »
Why don't you pay real close attention to that suck-swallow pattern for a day or two, and let me know? If she is actively suck/swallow at 30 min, I wouldn't "cut her off" although I doubt she is.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 23:55:51 pm »
I agree with Stacy - as long as you're hearing her swallow, I'd let her stay on.  The time WILL get shorter as she gets older!  But she's still quite young, so I'd be reluctant to stop her before she's really ready - even if you're single side feeding, if you cut her off, she might not get all that great hind milk. :) The other thing to try is breast compression when you notice that her suck-swallowing is slowing down - it can help increase the flow and get her going again.

As for manually being able to express milk even after a feed - breasts never completely empty - you always have SOME milk in there because you're constantly refilling them!  :wink:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 19:40:07 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll try to pay attention to her suck swallow routine.  I have a feeling that she goes in spurts but I'll pay attetnion for a couple of days and get back to you.

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 16:03:46 pm »
Ok, I've been observing and it's really not an easy question to answer.  She changes to the suck, suck, suck,swallow anywhere from 5-15 minutes.  From that point on it's a kind of stop and go thing.  On the one side I think I have an overactive letdown because she doesn't latch consistently and constantly pulls off. It's gets rather painful!  So just when I think she might be done she starts the serious sucking again!  This is why I'm so confused  :? !
So have you got any definate answers for me? :lol: please.
Thanks

Offline GraceKellysmom

Re: bfs how long and how much for a 10 week old?
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 19:32:33 pm »
Quote from: tracefo
I've asked my docter and the lactation consultant and anyone who'll listen but the answers all seem to be "until she's done or your empty".

Ditto.  :lol:

:roll: Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think 10-30 minutes is perfect for a 10 week old. Some babies are really efficient eaters. Some babies suck/swallow a lot longer. Some babies have a high suck need, they will eat, and suckle long after the milk has stopped flowing quickly. Your baby may be like this, she loves to suck.

If what you are doing is working (meaning she is lasting 3 hrs between feeds and is content and producing enough wet diapers) then keep at it. If you have been double side feeding, the switch to single side feeding can be tough in that you need to feed more frequently to up your milk production.

I would consider pumping 4-6 ounces per bottle feed. Package them in 2 oz portions so that your care giver doesn't waste any. They will soon figure out how much she needs. Pumping yields are much greater in the morning, fwiw.

Does that help at all?
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 14:08:17 pm »
I think that helps.  When she starts to "Play" on the boob, latching and unlatching, tossing her head from side to side, is it time to take her off?

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 18:37:13 pm »
You could try breast compressions to get the rest of the milk out, and then offer the other side. If she bobs, that is usually "I'm not hungry" or "There's no more milk."
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 21:39:20 pm »
ok, that is good to know.
thanks