Author Topic: co-sleeping, breastfeeding and pick up put down problem  (Read 2428 times)

Offline andrea_bunny

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
co-sleeping, breastfeeding and pick up put down problem
« on: September 25, 2005, 19:49:41 pm »
Hi all

This is my first post here but I have a problem with my 10 month old.  Shes breastfed and is a boobie addict, she wakes several times in the night and because of this we are co-sleeping, although I would like this to stop.

She will not go to bed in the evening and is still awake at 10/11/12 o'clock at night, its killing me.  I also have a two year old and I feel that its getting to the point where I cannot function from lack of sleep.  I need to get this sorted.

She always wants to nurse asleep and then unless shes in bed with me, will not sleep for very long, maybe 30 mins at a time, then she wants to nurse again.  not for hunger but for comfort.  She does have a pacifier but isn't keen on it and if shes wanting the breast then will not be distracted by it at all.

I used controlled crying with DD#1 and this worked fine, I have never had a sleeping problem with her, but in my old age I am getting soft and really dont want to do with it DD#2.  The pick up put down routine doesn't seem to work at all with her, she is very stubborn.

My ultimate aim is to get her sleeping through the night, although if she wakes for one feed and settles back to sleep easily I have no objections, sleeping in her own crib and going to bed around7/8pm in the evening.  I don't want to give up the breastfeeding but I want her to not use me as a comforter.

Any ideas?
Andrea

Aurora 15/5/03 Angel
Athena 1/12/04 Touchy

Diego's Mama

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 00:50:22 am »
Your best best to to buy or borrow Tracy's newest book, The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems.  Sit down and have a good read through it. I think you'll find all your answers there.  If still, you have questions, post back and we can work on specific issues for you.

To transition off nursing to sleep and from cosleeping to independent sleep is a major investment of time and energy.  At ten months, it will not happen quickly or easily.  Hence, you really need to read up, decide if you're committed to whispering, then learn all you can before you start.  Once you're in the implementation phase of your plan, we can offer lots of help and support.

Bless.

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 03:35:59 am »
I second what Laura recommended--you are looking at a multi-step problem, so you will need to break it down into different steps and work on one thing at a time.  We had some similar problems (at 7 months, still feeding 3 or 4 times a night, not going down on her own, needing us to rub her back for an hour sometimes, multiple night wakings besides for feedings. . .)  It took us a long time to get it all sorted out, although some of that was from some hesitancy on our parts. 

But I wanted to encourage you because the sooner you start, the sooner it will get better.  We got rid of the last night feeding at 10 months or so, and then, switched our schedule for the evening wind down so she wasn't bf to sleep, and finally, at 13 months, we were able to leave the room while she was awake and she would go to sleep on her own.  It all required mini changes--just a little tweak at a time and let her get used to that, and then change it a little more.  For instance, for the night wakings, dh started getting up with her for the first few--we picked a time that I would feed her if she woke after it--she was mad at first, but got used to not being able to eat those times and slowly, we lengthened the time until she was only eating around 4 a.m.  It took a couple weeks, if I remember right, and it didn't stop her from waking up  :? , but at least she wasn't eating :lol:

Definately post again when you've read the books and have a better idea of how you want to start this.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline CanadianMama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 03:37:36 am »
Yes, definately get the Solves All Your Problems book.  I was in sort of the same boat as you only my dd would only wake once or twice for a bf during the night, and I could usually get her to sleep at 11:00pm.  Now I am only bf her every four hours during the day and one dream feed later on and she is to bed at 8:00PM (not that she goes down right away but in principle, at least I have an hour to myself before I go to bed).
Read the book, make some notes for yourself, formulate a plan, have patience patience patience and there will be loads of people here to support you, as I have found out in a very short time.
Good luck to you!

Neiner and Taryn :D
Taryn's Mom

Offline andrea_bunny

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 19:37:21 pm »
Thank you for the advice ladies, I will go and buy the book tomorrow and read up on it. Then I will get back to you.
Andrea

Aurora 15/5/03 Angel
Athena 1/12/04 Touchy