Author Topic: A time for 8 months ?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
A time for 8 months ?
« on: September 25, 2005, 20:07:20 pm »
DS is 8 months today.
he has been fighting for nap for the past few days.

how long A time for 8 month old?
i tried 2.5 hour, 3 hour in the morning ... fighting like crazy.

may be just developmental as DS is trying to walk around furniture  :?:
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 01:43:38 am »
How many naps is he on? Maybe he's trying to transition to two naps?

Usually 3 hours works well, but it could be developmental too, where he's discovering a lot of new things.

HTH.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
A time for 8 months ?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 06:25:43 am »
DS is on 2 naps.

will keep trying 3 hours. may be sometimes i put him to bed too early that he play and play in cot and got over-excited.

at this age, when do you put him in cot? what kind of wind-down works?
when i hold DS still, he will try to escape.

TIA
mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
A time for 8 months ?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 08:00:33 am »
Hi, my dd is nearly 9 months old now but for the last month and a half has been going 2.5 hours in the morning and then 3 in the afternoon between naps. She did however go through a phase of really fighting her naps and I think you are right in that it is probably down to developmental changes - my dd didn't want to lay down to go to sleep because she could pull herself up on the cot and then got overtired and so the cycle went on.  She eventually got bored of doing that once she had it mastered.

As for wind down that can be difficult with my little one so we normally try and read a book which keeps her still for 5 minutes and helps relax her and then I pop her in her cot. Don't normally have a long wind down period and put her in her cot bang on when she needs her nap as otherwise she gets stressed out if you put her in too early.

I know some babies need a while to wind down but that just doesn't work with my dd and it may be the same for you.

HTH
Sam's Mum

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
A time for 8 months ?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 14:53:02 pm »
My DS is 8 months  and (on good days...) his A times consist of 2-2.25 hours, then 3hrs, and depending on 2nd nap 3-4 hours before bed. We've been trying to drop the 3rd nap, depends on our day.

We do just a 5 minute wind down as well, reading or just rocking in his room. Even if he dosen't stay still, we're away from the toys and other people in the house, sometimes he plays for a few minutes in his crib before he falls asleep. I have noticed since he's learned to stand and walk around on furniture he's struggling to go down as well, especially since he can stand in the crib now- but I wait until he gives the 'mad cry', go in and resettle him and MOST of the time he's down for the count.
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Offline momofnewbaby

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 20:37:38 pm »
I agree with both Becky and Sam's mom. My dd's awake times have been 3 hours and 3.5 hours, but since she started to stand a couple of weeks ago, it has been a mess. I have to go in countless number of times, and she gets overtired because of all the standing up, so in the end, I have to sort of hold her down thru' her fussing, for her to get some sleep.

I'm hoping it will pass soon.

HTH.

Sumita
Mother of a textbook/touchy baby

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 20:58:46 pm »
Hi,

It sounds like my 7.5-month-old dd is going through something similar with developmental changes. Today was the day from hell for naps. It took forever to get her to go down this morning, and she slept an hour. After that it took FIVE hours to get her to go down for her second nap  :x , and I'm holding my breath that she sleeps through the 30-45 minute vulnerable period.

She's been fighting naps for the past few days. And she has recently mastered rolling from back to tummy and then tummy to back all in a row and is going crazy with the rolling today. I'm thinking that's what it is. Hopefully it will end soon!!!  :roll:
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)