Author Topic: Increasing Afternoon Catnap!  (Read 1611 times)

Offline cashar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Increasing Afternoon Catnap!
« on: September 19, 2005, 08:37:33 am »
Hi there, I am a new member who discovered Tracey's book about 1 month ago. It has saved my sanity!

I am the proud mum of a 'spirited' 5 month old baby boy. I could not believe it when I read the definition of 'spirited' baby in my book. It was like Tracey was describing my baby exactly. I had been searching everywhere for some sort of explanation to my baby boys behaviour with no luck.

I put him on easy and it was like he said 'Mum has finally got it'. My only regret is not finding 'The Baby Whisperer' before he was born. I could have avoided 3 1/2 months of total confusion for us both.

My biggest challenge is the afternoon catnap. At most I get 20 mins and only after a long battle of sshh/pat. I try quiet activties after lunch as I know he gets overstimulated. I watch carefully for tired signs and wind down as soon as I see them. He is an early bird to bed, by 6pm so his catnap is anywhere between 3.30 - 4.30. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks ... :?

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 20:02:25 pm »
HI there.  It sounds like your lo may be in the midst of dropping the catnap.  With my DS, it started around the 5 month mark and we battled with it on/off til nearly month 7.  Some days he took the catnap, other days, it was impossible.  So, on those no-catnap days, bedtime was early early, like 6pm.  Not sure if you can go much earlier than that, but I imagine that even 15 mins earlier might help.

Good luck!

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:18:58 am »
What does his daily routine look like?

Thanks, I'll check back and welcome to the board!
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline cashar

• Showing Appreciation 4
Daily Structure Looks Like This
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 02:30:37 am »
Hi again, thanks for the replys,  sorry it has taken me a few days to check my post.

Our day looks something like this:

Wake 6am (Breastfeed)

Wind down 7.30am

Sleep 8am (aim for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs)
Sometimes wakes after 45mins sshh/pat to settle

Wake 9.30 - 10am (Breatfeed)

Wind down 11am - 11.30am

Sleep 12 (aim again for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs)
Also wakes after 45 mins on occassions sshh/pat to settle
On a bad day we have tried to settle until next feed

Wake 1.30 - 2pm (Breastfeed)

Try to do quiet activities in afternoon, have given up putting DS under gym to play, too much for him I think and very frustrated when he can't get the hanging toys into his mouth.

Catnap 3.30-4.30pm depending on tired signs

Some days DS will play on his own in cot and cry out for me after 15 mins or so and when I go in to settle he is full of smiles and does not look tired any more ????? Other days he will have a quick nap (20mins)

4.30 - 5 (Breastfeed)

5.30 Bath/Bottle with daddy

6 Bed

Currently waking between 11.30 and 2 for feed (always seems really hungry)

Has woken at 4am also a few times in the last few weeks for another feed (goes straight back to sleep). I assumed he was going through growth spurt and went to 3 hr feeding for a couple of days but this morning he woke at 3.45am.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for advice, sometimes I feel like I am missing something right in front of me.

Cashar

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 00:29:50 am »
It does sound like he's starting to drop the afternoon cat nap, what you can do, is start to increase his awake time just a wee bit between the morning nap and afternoon nap, and if he doesn't fall asleep for the afternoon cat nap, then don't sweat it. If it's just 20 mins, then that's fine.

Go with the flow, sounds like he's starting a transition from 3 to 2 naps.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline cashar

• Showing Appreciation 4
Yes, dropping catnap!!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 08:14:13 am »
Thanks Jane, we did not have a nap again this afternoon but seemed happy enough until bathtime and bed.

I noticed he has started having a solid 2 hr sleep in the morning which he rarely did before, I even had to wake him for feed the last 2 days, must be catching up on sleep there.

Thanks again for advice, look forward to speaking soon.

Cashar :lol:

Offline txavery

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 15:50:52 pm »
Hi all-

I was reading this post and just wanted to clarify something, because I'm experiencing something similar and I'm wondering if my DD is trying to adjust her schedule (maybe drop the catnap).  She is 6.5 mo.  Are you guys saying that it is possible for a baby this age to drop the afternoon catnap and go to two naps?  I know from Tracy's book that this typically does not happen until around 8 mo, but I guess it could be sooner for some babies right?

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 01:03:57 am »
Definately, it can start at 6 months of age.  Just keep an eye on his cues and behaviour, if his morning and afternoon naps are improving in length-- then after 6 months you can start dropping the late afternoon nap.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001

Offline cashar

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 22:43:30 pm »
Hi, back again and thought I might add that it does seem to depend on how the 2 day naps go as to whether my DS needs to have a late afternoon catnap so if he seems really tired and in my DS case 'crabby' in the afternoon he will sometimes have one but on other days he doesn't. I agree just watch for tired cues and follow your baby. Being 'spirited' I always try to make DS have a catnap if we have had a busy day.

Cashar