Author Topic: My 9 Mos Old Eats Ice Cream. Am I A Horrible Mom?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
My 9 Mos Old Eats Ice Cream. Am I A Horrible Mom?
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:19:50 am »
Okay, confession.  I let me 9 mos old have ice cream, and other things I probably shouldn't.   :oops:

I mean, he does get his daily servings of cereal, fruits, and veggies.  But he seems to LOVE to eat whatever is on my plate.  And sometimes I give in...  For example, today he ate pieces of grilled cheese sandwich and some spaghetti for lunch.  There are times that he eats bits of steak, chicken nuggets, waffles, pieces of cookie, and I even caught DH giving him sips of mint chocolate chip milkshake!!!      :shock:

During his first few months, Nathan had sever GERD to the point of constant dehydration, so I guess I am just so happy that he is willing to eat!  But please yell at me if I need it!  Am I a horrible mom???
Sheila
ng

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 08:05:18 am »
You are not a horrible mum at all  :)  :)

Sounds like your ds gets a really varied diet with all the nutrition he needs so a little bit of something naughty won't do him any harm - same as us grown ups really  :wink:

I have been following Annabel Karmel's books and even she suggests introducing ice cream at 9 months as a treat and she is a real advocate of giving your baby the right foods.
Sam's Mum

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:00:36 am »
No, I do NOT think you're an awful mom! :)

That said, I've been a sugar addict all my life and Josie pretty much is too. We started with all healthy stuff - she would chow down happily on cottage cheese with broccoli, spinach, or kale - but now won't touch a lot of it. She wants sweet stuff and salty stuff, and breaking her of that is gonna take a LOT of work! It's worse because sugar affects her behavior - a LOT. She basically just falls apart after refined sugar: her behavior goes down the tubes, and she also gets sick more when she's had lots of sugar, as do I. There are sugar substitutes, but frankly, I worry about them too - I just don't know enough about them and they make me nervous.

Just something to think about. It might be easier to avoid lots of sweets now and wean him of a sweet tooth now than when he's 2, or 4, or 10. How about yogurt? You can start with the sweet fruity stuff and gradually mix in more and more plain till he's more used to that.

Whatever path you take, good luck. You're not likely one of those moms whose kid was chowing down on cheese doodles at 4-5 months, so you're ahead of the game in that regard! :)