Author Topic: 12 weeks old feeding routine  (Read 1228 times)

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
12 weeks old feeding routine
« on: September 26, 2005, 12:06:24 pm »
After my recent post about 'problems after 3 or 4 oz', we think the problem was that he was taking 6 oz at 7,11,3,6,8.  We realised he was getting fussy for 6 and 8 feeds cos he wasnt really hungry enough to finish them but we wanted to top him up for bedtime and dreamfeeding didnt really work for us.
I have now decided the best thing to do is to change to 7 oz feeds, start at 8am and feed every 4 hours til his bedtime bottle at 8pm.  My only query really is that by doing this he will only get 4 feeds a day, totalling 28 oz.  Can anyone tell me if they have had similar issues and if you had any problems by changing to 4 feeds a day.  At the moment ds sleeps 8.30pm til 7am and don't want to upset his sleeping because of not getting enough milk? He is 12 weeks old and weighs around 14lb (7lb2oz born).

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 13:56:14 pm »
Hi

I'd think about trying to introduce a dreamfeed again to get that extra bottle in. I know you said it didn't really work for you - what problems did you have with it? How old was your lo when you tried? It can take a while for them (and you) to get the hang of it but it's worth it to avoid night wakings when you're making the switch to 4 hourly feed.

If you let us know what the problems were with DFing we can give you some tips.

love
Marie

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 17:23:22 pm »
well the only 'problem' we found with dreamfeeding was that as Jack is going to bed at 8.30, I find I am too tired to stay up til 10.30 to dreamfeed him! :oops:  Apart from that there were no problems with it, he took to it stright away, apart from maybe not taking as much as I wanted him to it was fine.
Is there a 'rule' to how early to dreamfeed? would it be too early to dreamfeed at 9.30 if his last bottle is between 6-7 and he goes to bed at 8.30?
That way I could feed 7,11,3,7 and then dreamfeed 9.30? I am sure if I did it that way he would have no probs taking bottle cos there are 4 hours between each(apart from dreamfeed).
As I said before I just dont want to mess up his sleeping.  Any opinions appreciated! :?
Thanx