Author Topic: Dream Feed Best Route?  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« on: September 26, 2005, 13:56:50 pm »
Hi there. Marisa is now 6.5 weeks and sleeps great at night. She very much wants to have her bedtime be between 7:30 and 8 and we have complied. She then sleeps very peacefully and we dream feed her around 10:30 - sometimes closer to 11, sometimes closer to 10. She eats about 4-5 ounces in her sleep, burps and goes back to sleep right away. Regardless of what time the DF is, she awakes between 2:30-3:30 am and takes a full bottle. Should we continue with the dream feed? Or is it better to skip the DF and let her wake up on her own? I have no problem with the DF - but it seems like it doesn't have much impact...

I should mention that we think (and the doctor agrees) that she also has reflux and may be going on Zantac...

Thx much.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 20:11:24 pm »
Hello!
How long have you been giving the dreamfeed?  Sometimes it takes a little bit to kick in.  Also, how much is she getting during the day? Does she feed every 3-4 hours?  If not, she may not be getting enough and making up for it at night.  At 6.5 weeks, it isn't uncommon to have that night waking out of hunger  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 21:44:59 pm »
Hi Noelle - thanks for the response. I have been doing the DF for about 1.5 weeks now. We used to have her bottle at 6 and then activity and then nap and then not bedtime until after 10 pm bottle. However, now she is on 3.5 hour easy (sometimes goes 3.15 sometimes 3.75). She is an eater and takes 5-6 ounces at each feeding during the day (so at 8, 11:30, 3 and 6:30), about 4.5 at DF and at least 5 in middle of night. I have no problem with her waking from hunger - just wanted to make sure we were doing this best way. What do you think? Do we need to adjust anything? She resists cluster feeds...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 00:44:11 am »
I think that sounds great and the earlier bedtime is definitely the way to go, IMO.  The only thing I would maybe suggest is topping her off before her bedtime.  If her last feed is at 6:30 but she goes to bed at 7:30/8 I would top her off right before bed..even if it is an ounce or two.  Then her dreamfeed around 10:30 give or take.

:D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:42:41 am »
Thanks again Noelle. I think she may be having a growth spurt - she also slept a bit more than usual today. But would you even suggest the topping off if she has a bit of a reflux problem? Maybe let her have a full bottle at 6:30 and then a little bit more if she'll take it at 7:30 and then wait until as close to 11 as possible for the DF?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:46:26 am »
HELLO AGAIN.  :D
I DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH REFLUX SO I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION :(    IF IT DOESN'T HURT HER, THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO.  I'LL SEE IF I CAN FIND OUT FOR YOU  :D

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:36:38 pm »
I see no problem with topping her off with an extra ounce or two, as long as she doesn't appear to be in any distress while sleeping.

She will have had a full hour or so from the last full feed, so I think that would be fine! :D

If you notice any disruption in her sleep before the dreamfeed, think of the top off being the culprit, and go from there.

I think you'll be fine though!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 16:16:43 pm »
Thanks guys. We'll try that starting tonight. She may also be starting Zantac this week - waiting to talk to the pediatrician again today. Poor girl.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 16:18:22 pm »
Also - last night she only took 3.25 ounces at the DF - just too out of it sleeping to take more - so she got up a little earlier than usual in middle of night. But it's hard to tell if it's only hunger waking her or also the acid...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 12:35:54 pm »
So she was diagnosed with reflux (more details in the reflux thread) and started Zantac yesterday. But lately at the DF, she has only been taking 3 or 3.5 ounces (as opposed to her usual 5-6 in each bottle) - leading her to wake up a little after 2 starving. She just seems too sleepy at the DF to eat much. Any ideas?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 13:26:31 pm »
Hi!  :D
Zoe never took as much as the day bottles at the dreamfeed either.  I'm guessing she is still waking at 2 because of her age and needs those calories.  Would she take more during the day? Or have you tried clusterfeeding at all?  :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 13:33:58 pm »
Hi Noelle! She might take more during day but I'm scared to really try because she's already taking quite a bit and has reflux and dont' want to make matters worse. She seems to resist cluster feeding too... Hmmm. Guess will just keep trying! Maybe will try to get her to even take 1/4 ounce more during day at each feeding (which I know she will eat happily). Do you think it would help at all do give her a bit less with the 7pm bottle so that she is hungrier by the DF?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 13:46:46 pm »
With the reflux, is it bad for them to eat as much as they want? If it's ok, I would definitely give her more during the day if she'll take it.  :D

I wouldn't give her less at the 7 feeding as you want her to get the calories during the day to eventually eliminate the night feedings (including dreamfeed). 

If she takes just an ounce or two at a clusterfeeding...that's perfectly normal...it's just to tank them up  :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 17:25:33 pm »
What about this? She currently takes 5-6 ounces during the day about 3.5 hours apart (sometimes closer to 4). Her first two naps are pretty good depending on how she is feeling that day reflux wise. But the last nap (after the bottle at 2:30 or 3pm) is tough - she generally only sleeps a little and then wakes and fusses, etc.

Instead of trying to have her take a 2-hour nap then, should I see if she will do a 45-min catnap, then wake her and give her 2 more ounces at 4:45 or 5 and then short activity time and then another catnap until 6:45 or 7 and then full dinner bottle? And then dreamfeed still at 10:30/11?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Dream Feed Best Route?
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 00:55:16 am »
Hi ya...
i have a pretty good idea of your routine...but could you post your schedule....just want to take a closer look first  :D