Author Topic: Has anyone tried relactation  (Read 2065 times)

Offline tommysmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: September 26, 2005, 15:17:18 pm »
Hi! I am new to this site..love and follow Tracy's books...have a 10 week old little boy on a great 3 hour easy plan.  I have never breastfeed...tried in the hospital after a C section and an impatient LC.  Tommy has reflux and a lot of gas, was thinking breastfeeding would help.  I regret not trying it before.  I am interested in relactating...I still leak...any pointers or suggestions?  Thank you!!!
Alicia

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Has anyone tried relactation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 16:08:07 pm »
I haven't done it personally, but have a friend who did - I think it's great that you're going to try this!  I'd really recommend doing it under the supervision of an lc.  The important thing is to feed frequently - you might need to use a lactation aid to supplement with formula for the first while (it's a tube to give the formula while your baby nurses and stimulates your nipples).  You might also need some herbs to help build up your supply (like fenugreek).  If that's not enough, there are other options, like domperidone.

It's very possible to do - just keep trying!  Does he take your breast at all?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline tommysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 18:03:57 pm »
Thank you so much for responding to my post.  No...he  does not take to the breast, I have tried a few times...he is a Touchy baby and does not like change.  I am wondering if it is best just to pump and give him my milk in a bottle.  We just got ourselves into a great routine and I know it will throw a wrench into it.  Or is it worth distrubting our routine?  Thank you again for your help.  I appreciate it very much!
Alicia

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 18:20:31 pm »
How spooky is this post???

I just spoke with my health visitor about this - What with one thing and another my milk dried up a couple of weeks ago.
I don't think I am producing milk although Sam is VERY interested and has latched on and sucked a couple of times for a couple of mins, however I don't know whether that is more of a comfort thing for him.

Is it possible to get going again?  I would really love to be able to bf again.

Thanks
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 18:41:50 pm »
Yes, to both of you, it is possible to relactate. A certified lactation consultant and starting ASAP are your keys to success. I've read from several moms who have done it. I'm sure LLL's website will have info on it as well.

Even if you don't nurse all the time - yes ebm in bottles is fantastic.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

s_olano00

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 19:15:17 pm »
Wendy and Alicia,

Since my DD was born, I thought I had problems with sore nipples, which turned out about 2 weeks ago that it was dermatitis caused by an allergic reaction to a silicon part of my breast pump.

While I thought I had sore nipples, I decided to stop bfeeding until my breasts were completely healed (too much pain to handle), which made my milk flow almost non-existing (as a matter of fact, my left breast started to dry up)

What I did to get the milk flowing again, was to pump milk every 2 hours for about 4 days and take some homeopatic pills called Urtika. I went from  2 oz to  4 oz. per express. I still do it every 2 hours because the pump is not as affective as the baby's sucking and the key to produce more milk is to have the breasts emptied as often as possible. Now I offer my breast in the mornings and for the rest of the day I express and give DD a bottle - she is a smart little girl that found the easy way to get milk and won't stay in my breast for too long because it means too much work for her.

I agree with Erin that you should see a LC -I was missdiagnosed because I only asked a midwife and a nurse about my breasts. The LC told me what I had just by seeing it!

If you want to do it, with the help of a professional, you will be able to do it!!

Good Luck!

Offline tommysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 14:01:52 pm »
Thank you ladies for your info and encouragement.  I will keep you posted on our progress...wish us well.
Alicia

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 14:11:21 pm »
Hi Ladies

It is possible - women who have never given birth can induce lactation (I never knew this but when I was trying this when my DD was about 8 weeks I read quite a lot of stuff about it).  Apparently some apoptive mothers do this so they can BF their adopted children. I found the whole thing fascinating.

The LLL helpline were particularly helpful about this when I called them, they were incredible supportive - but also didn't try to kid me that it would be a walk in the park. It takes a lot of dedication but it can be done.

I personally didn't have the will power for it. I think my issue was more to do with the loss of the option to BF rather than the desire to actually do it - does that make sense at all??? I was feeling a lot of pressure from people over it and felt I had let my DD down. I also felt that I was completely unsupported by the Health service regarding this after my DD was born - hey hum, that's a whole other story!  :roll:

There is loads of information on the net about it. Some of the best sites I found are:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/Boot%20Camp/bc1.htm

http://www.artofbreastfeeding.com/relact.html

I hope you find these helpful. Please let us know how you get on. I wish you the very best of luck with this.

love
Marie