Author Topic: Please help my 4 week old baby wont sleep!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline charlypluslibby

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help my 4 week old baby wont sleep!
« on: September 26, 2005, 16:30:49 pm »
She only naps for about 2 hours through the day, she cries alot though so is over tired but wont go to sleep unless in our arms. She wakes in the night every 2 hours & when she is asleep at night she grunts through it & makes loud noises which keep us awake anyway. Please help want to start a routine but cant, have worked out she is a sprited baby.
 :roll:

Charlotte & Libbyxx

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Please help my 4 week old baby wont sleep!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 03:14:47 am »
Hello amd welcome.  I would think that a baby your dd age would not be able to tolerate much activity time yet.  Her activity should be eating and diaper changes and maybe a little cuddle time.  Do you swaddle her?  If not it really will help.  What worked for me when lindsey was that little was to hold her and cuddle her till she was really drowsy, eyes closed and relaxed then gently lay her down then swaddle her tightly.  I also believe in doing whatever it takes at that age to get them to sleep.  dont worry about a routine yet per say.  Just concentrate on getting to know your baby and learning her cues.  She probaly needs to go back to sleep within an hour of waking after she has been fed to prevent her from becoming overtired.  If she is breastfed she needs to eat every 2.5-3 hours during the day, but as long as she is gaining weight well don't wake her to eat during the day unless she is going to miss a feed.  If formula fed she may be able to go a little longer between feeds.     There are alot of variables to take into account for so just hang in there, do whatever it takes to get her to sleep so you too can rest,  and relax.  The first 6-8 weeks are hard and I don't believe you can "accidental parent" between those weeks as your baby needs the closeness and cuddling to feel secure out of the womb.   HTH.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th