Author Topic: How long should I cluster feed?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline newmommyof2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long should I cluster feed?
« on: September 26, 2005, 16:40:10 pm »
In order to help get my ds through a growth spurt (4 mo old), I cluster fed him at 5:30 and 7:30 for a week.  I have done the df @ 11:00 since about 4 weeks. He usually sleeps until 7.  So, I thought that a week was long enough but I am not sure now.  Last night, I dropped the cluster feed @ 5:30 and moved it to 6:45 (4 hours from last feed--he is almost on the 4 hour EASY).  He didn't seem to be hungry at the 5:30, so it didn't seem to be a problem.  He did feed for a longer time at the 6:45 and the df then woke @ 4. He was definitely hungry and took a good 15 minute feed. So, do I need to drop back to doing the cluster feed? Is my supply low?  BTW, he breast feeds in the am and evening/night and takes two bottles of 8 oz during the day.  Thanks!
Jennifer

Love being a Mom to
Michael Peyton (03/11/02) Textbook
Lauren Elizabeth (03/30/03) Spirited
Jonah Isom (05/19/05) Textbook

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 18:48:55 pm »
Are the bottles ebm or formula?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline newmommyof2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:16:10 pm »
Bottles are formula . . .Last night I fed on both sides @ 6:45 and then the df and he slept on through until 7. Not sure why?
Jennifer

Love being a Mom to

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 18:34:23 pm »
At 4 months old they start having developmental wakings, as you probably remember from your other children. So he may be waking for a variety of reasons. That is why the nightwakings can be erratic at this age.

Do you pump during the day, or are you just able to maintain your supply enough from his feedings? Just a question out of interest.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline newmommyof2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 12:45:36 pm »
Unfortunately, I don't pump due to my erratic work schedule--I teach public child welfare workers and am on the floor during the day at different sites.  Pumping was always was difficult for me. I bought lots of different kinds of pumps and seemed to always take forever for me to get enough. 
For my other two I was able to keep up my supply until about the 9 month. For some reason, with both of my other children, that seemed to be about the time that I stopped making enough and switched over to formula only.  My dream was always to do it through until a year but had to deal with reality of my job. Anyway, probably more info than you wanted. Thanks for the info--I do forget that @ 4 months there is so much going on developmentally that your routine does get a little off.
Jennifer

Love being a Mom to

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 18:29:49 pm »
Hey thanks for the response. It is an ongoing education for me and nice to "know" of moms who manage to do both for so long. 9 months is good!
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies