Author Topic: How to move his 5 hour stretch?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to move his 5 hour stretch?
« on: September 22, 2005, 16:00:36 pm »
My son is almost 10 weeks and we are still up twice to three times a night?    He will go down at 7:30 and now sleep until 12:30.   Then wake up at 3 and 5:30am.  I have tried to wake him for dreamfeeds about 10 or 10:30 but he will not wake up.   So I started letting it go.  Just clusterfeeding him before I put him down.   I am really happy that he is sleeping that 5 hours, I just wish it was from 12-5.   Any advice?

Thank you!
Carin
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 14:10:43 pm »
Hi there,

You might try going in about 15 minutes earlier or later than you have been to wake him for the dream feed.  Sometimes they are in such a deep sleep that they won't wake so if you catch them in REM it's easier.  I would keep trying, because that will probably make a difference for you!  At ten weeks old, you can try patting him back to sleep when he wakes - are you sure he's waking out of hunger?  If he's waking out of habit and can be patted back to sleep, you might want to try that before automatically feeding him.

Let us know how it goes :)
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Mom2Ben

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 22:35:53 pm »
Thanks Sara!   I will keep trying.
Carin
Mom to Benjamin Ward
Born July 17, 2005

Offline cfws

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 09:58:57 am »
Hi This is my fisrt post on this site,

The dream feed works for us, we put baby down at 7pm and wake at 10pm - 10.30pm (it isn't always easy) we take baby downstairs and wait a good 15-20mins before feeding so she will take a good feed. We also make sure she is kept awake (nappy off and a kick on her change mat) for at least an hour or more, but don't overstimulate babe too much.

We also split this feed so we give 4oz at 10.30 ish, then another 1-2oz (fresh bottle other breast) at 11.30 ish just before we re-settle her to sleep, she then goes between 5-6 hours.

Persevere if you can, eventually you will be able to give this feed up altogether when baby moves on to solids

Good Luck

Kate  :D