Author Topic: 2.5 yr old waking early AND no nap - HEELLLPPPPP!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline mcmorfit

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2.5 yr old waking early AND no nap - HEELLLPPPPP!
« on: September 26, 2005, 21:23:06 pm »
DD used to get between 12.5 - 13.5 hours of sleep a day.  Now she is getting maybe 9.5 to 10.5 and I am at my wits end.

She used to go to sleep between 7:30 and 8:00 and then wake up between 6:15 and 6:45.  In addition she would take a 1.5 - 2 hour nap.  For the past month she is waking up between 5:00 and 5:45 and maybe taking a nap every third day if I'm lucky.  She is REALLY crabby upon wakeup and goes to her door and starts knocking on it and yelling for Mamma, Mamma.  At that point, we have been going to her room and tucking her back in and then waiting until 6:00 to get her.

She is in a toddler bed and has discovered how to open the door, so we put a handle on the inside, so now she can't open the door.  She also is in the process of pottly learning, so I don't know if waking up in a wet diaper is setting her off.   It seems like we have tried everything - putting her down later, earlier.  What has remained a constant is that her room is in total darkness, she has a solid bedtime routine and puts herself to sleep easily (maybe a little cry here and there, but nothing major).  I'm just so tired!  I go to sleep before 9:00 so I can tackle my day, but at 1:00, I am totally dragging and have a toddler who isn't napping!

Any helpful words are needed!
Ellen
Mama to Lucy, 2/27/03

Offline Tamara

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • UK
2.5 yr old waking early AND no nap - HEELLLPPPPP!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:13:24 am »
Ellen - I'm sorry you're having such a tough time at the moment {{HUGS}}

Firstly - I don't have any concrete advice to give you - i'm not sure myself what I would do in your situation, but I'm thinking about it.

I can empathise somewhat with you though - My DD is 28 months and in the past month has taken to not napping on some days - and it's REALLY hard isn't it?  The day is relentless with no breathing space. 

Just a few questions though:-
What time does she go to sleep if she hasn't napped? 
Does this affect her wake up time?
What do you do with her if she doesn't nap?  Can you not 'make' her?
What if you keep taking her back to bed in the morning telling her it's still night time, not time to get up yet (we do that with DD on the odd occasion she wakes early and it tends to work, as long as it's not daylight)