Author Topic: Rolling over  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: September 22, 2005, 14:07:55 pm »
Hi... I have been reading that babies at this age are able to roll over, but my dd shows no signs of trying or doing it... we spend lots of time with her on her tummy and her mat, but I am not sure if I need to stimulate her to do it or show her how. Should I worry or should I teach her or should I let her be? And if I should help her... do you have any tips?

Offline Laura1973

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.babyhomepages.net/samuelgassner/
Hi there
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 18:09:09 pm »
Hi there,

I'm assuming you mean at 4 months.  If you see my message about crawling then you'll realise that annoyingly babies don't read about milestones  :)

my lo didn't roll over until at least 6 months, sat up at 9 months and still doesn't crawl at 10 months.

but don't forget einstein was a slow baby and didn't talk until he was 4 years old.

i know i am one to talk but don't worry too much and try not to worry about milestones or compare.  you're baby will do these things soon - i promise, if when your lo is 18 years old and still lying down and coo'ing then maybe check it out  :wink: otherwise your lo is perfectly happy and normal

hope all goes ok xxx
Laura and wonderful Samuel (b. 11/19/2004)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Rolling over
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 07:43:46 am »
olivia rolled from her tummy to her back as early as 7 weeks but stopped doing it by 3-4 mo except rarely.  she only just rolled from back to her tummy this week when she turned 7 mo.  alex was not only rolling both ways by 2 mo but crawling by 5 mo so even with the same genes and environment they are developing totally differently!! they all get there in the end! just provide regular opportunities to be on her tummy and back in different places and she will eventually get there.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

Rolling over
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 09:12:53 am »
My dd rolled over from tummy to back at 8wks for about a week and hasn't done it since (my ds was exactly the same)!  As far as rolling from back to tummy, she just started doing that a few weeks just as she turned 5mths old.  Ways to encourage her (as well as providing interaction between the two of you - my dd giggles when we do this) would be having her lie on her back and raise one leg straight up (gently) and cross it over the other leg and touch the floor and take it back and repeat, then draw her shoulder over too - it's just a case of their body learning the different movements and how their muscles work etc.  My son was a lot more motivated and did it on his own at 4mths, but my dd really isn't too interested in moving around a lot yet.

Please don't stress about it.  Just give her tummy time, place her toys around her and she'll do her own thing when she's ready.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Rolling over
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 01:25:56 am »
My DD only rolled over 3x from tummy to back and that was a few weeks ago.  She doesn't seem to want to do it again.  She's in physical therapy, and the therapist gave us some tips to encourage her to learn to roll.  One is to gently pick up one arm while on tummy, and the same leg and roll her over.  Give a big hand of applause, and roll her back onto her tummy.  We do a diaper change on the floor first, then I roll her onto her tummy.  When she's finished with tummy time, I roll her back onto her back.  If nothing else, it gets her used to the sensation, so she won't be too startled or freaked out when it happens again.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Rolling over
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 01:36:36 am »
Hey - don't worry.  My ped said that with babies spending so much of their time on their backs instead of their tummies these days, they're not really expected to roll over until much closer to six months - I know mine wasn't rolling at the age yours is now.  She said the baby books haven't quite caught up with this yet.  Don't worry!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Rolling over
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 02:07:28 am »
What they all said!!  :wink:

My dd sat at 4 months, but didn't roll until about 7 months (or so!) and just started crawling 2 weeks ago at 11 months!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline CarlyK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Rolling over
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 03:26:04 am »
Both my boys didn't roll over until they were way past "the correct month" for rolling.  Don't stress about it, give tummy time throughout the day and it will come on it's own.  I often found myself lying on the floor facing the back of their heads calling there names to get them too, but it never worked and then they'd do it while I wasn't looking! 
If you're really concerned talk to your dr., we were referred both times to physiotherapists for their "relaxed attitude" as we like to call it.  But that was when they weren't crawling by a certain time.  Maybe place some toys just out of reach and see what happens there.
Good luck!
Carly

Tysen - 04/13/02 My Spirited Angel
Rylen - 07/05/04 Another Spirited Angel

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Rolling over
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 13:35:18 pm »
Quote from: CarlyK
  I often found myself lying on the floor facing the back of their heads calling there names to get them too, but it never worked and then they'd do it while I wasn't looking!
:lol:
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha