Author Topic: gas woes  (Read 3388 times)

Offline erin28

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 22:24:35 pm »
Micky-

I just want you to know that I am in the same exact boat as you.  Thank you for posting this, it really makes me feel better that I'm not the only one dealing with a gassy baby and nothing helps.  My lo is 3 months old and she has had gas since she was 2 weeks old.  I think it's slowly gotten a little better.  We are trying Zantac to see if maybe it's reflux, but I doubt it is.  I think it's just gas, but I thought what the heck I'll try it, it can't make it any worse.  I tried eliminating foods, but found nothing changed how gassy she was, so I pretty much eat what I want.  I do limit my milk product intake and don't eat too many gas causing vegetables and avoid really spicy foods.  I just started EASY with my daughter because her gas interfered so much with naps and everything else I didn't think I could get her on any kind of routine.  If you need anyone to talk to, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
Erin

annamum

gas woes
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 02:56:31 am »
Hi Micky,

The yellow mustard poop is normal. I don't have personal experience with elimination diet but here are some things you may want to consider:

Diary can be found in many products, you will need to read labels very carefully. It is true that it happens very often to be the culrit for baby fussiness. It also is in a chocolate  :cry:, except for dark bitter varieties. If you already cut out diary, the soy also may be the thing that causes discomfort. If you like soy milk, try instead rice dream.
There is a list of foods that are theoretically inducing gassiness in breastfed babies, first are beans, broccoli, cabbage, peppers, spicy hot foods, especially Indian, I think. The list goes on but the point is that you should eat a healthy and a balanced diet while nursing and you can't just eliminate everything. For us strawberries were a big offender. I really can't think of anything else at the moment.

The second thing, I agree with your doctor, his system is not mature yet and thus all this fussiness, albeit extreme, I admit. I agree that for you it is not easy to just watch your baby being uncomfortable, but it will probably pass soon. He is now 11 weeks, he should be getting better within short time.

As for accidental parenting, I think, when they are so young and uncomfortable, you should do what works at the moment, you need to survive  :lol: . For us, first 3 months were the toughest, from then on, I got a hang of it and my dd was easier to handle, too.

There is another thing that crossed my mind. Even though, you say you are sure it is gas, what is your baby's personality? My dd was/is a spirited angel and spirited relates to sleep in our case. That means, she always has been fighting sleep, even as a newborn as if she thought she would be missing something if she went to sleep. Sadly, this still continues today. But, the thing is, when she was a newborn, and before I even read BW, I would nurse her, wait till she was motionless, quietly, without breathing, I would transfer her to crib and ... she would awake! She would then start flailing her arms, scratching her face and so on. That could continue for a long time each night. From today's perspective, I wish I swaddled her and knew more about babies :oops: .

Anyway, I hope your ds gets better. Keep us posted :) .

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
gas woes
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 19:17:44 pm »
Hi Micky - is it going any better?  You've had some great advice already.  The one thing I really want to reinforce is the latch, though.  Have you seen a lactation consultant just to check it?  Gas coming out often means gas going in. :wink: Are his lips flanged out?  Does he make any smacking or clicking noises?  How long do you spend burping him?  I used to have to pat my dd for at least 10 min.  I actually found it worked best to prop her sitting up on my lap, supporting her head and sort of bouce her gently up and down a couple of times first, then pat (dh called it the "jiggle, jiggle, jiggle, pat, pat, pat").  The jiggle moves up the air bubbles so they come out easier.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Micky R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
gas woes
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 18:50:32 pm »
Hello to all.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I love this website...it feels like I have a great group of friends to bounce ideas off of any time I need to.  Thank you for that.  Things got a little crazy for a couple of days, that's why it's taken so long to reply back.  It's also Thanksgiving weekend so it's been busy with family.  Ds seems to be settling down a bit after those two bad days. We have a couple crappy days, then a couple good days and so on. I've really been watching the latch.  We live in a rural area so there is no lactation consultant close.  Our health nurse has observed us nursing and she said it looked good.  I've been reintroducing some food.  It got way too boring and I got way too hungry.  I don't think it's been what I've been eating...I think it's just his little GI system not functioning up to par yet.  He's pretty textbook.  He doesn't mind being put down in his crib..he goes to sleep quite easily on the good days...when I'm on top of his cues.  He just doesn't stay sleeping for very long when he has a bad tummy. I try to get a burp out of him every time he nurses.  he burps pretty easy, sometimes in the night when he's more relaxed, he doesn't necessarily have a burp.  He did have a great night two nights ago.  He nursed at 8:30, it took me until 10 to completely settle him and I thought "Oh no, another long night ahead" but he slept until 3:30!!  So it's coming.  It's a good thing they make babies so dang cute so when you're completely exhausted and frustrated, it's really not so bad, because they are so irresisitable!  Thanks again everyone...Micky

annamum

gas woes
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 00:05:41 am »
Quote from: Micky R
It's a good thing they make babies so dang cute so when you're completely exhausted and frustrated, it's really not so bad, because they are so irresisitable!  Thanks again everyone...Micky

I agree  :lol: , if they weren't so cute, parents would probably have much less patience with them.