Author Topic: Is the Dream Feed necessary?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Micky R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is the Dream Feed necessary?
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:20:01 am »
I have been doing EASY for two weeks and it's going fairly well.  I tried the DF twice and it seemed to interrupt his sleep so I quit doing it.  He's 9 weeks and sleeps from 8-8:30 until approx 2 am.  Then he's up anywhere from 4:30-6 am for another feed then back to sleep until it's time to wake up for the day (usually around 7 am. ) I wake him at this point to start our routine. I got Tracy's 2nd book today and I've realized that I am not feeding him long enough at feeding time so I've tried to increase it-he falls asleep within 10 minutes.  I worked hard to get him to eat for 30 minutes tonight. Our schedule may improve with this, we'll see tonight at 2 am feed and tomorrow.  Anyway, if he is already sleeping 5-6 hours without the DF, do I need to do it?  If so, how long should the DF be?  Is 10 minutes sufficient for a DF?  Lots of questions but I couldn't find the length of DF anywhere in either book.  Thanks!  Micky

Offline damara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 05:45:10 am »
Hi Micky
I wanted to add that a 10-15 min may be alright provided he is not snacking. My lo (currently 7 weeks old) only feeds for this amount of time (he is bf) but he is a really good sucker and I know he is not snacking because he is lasting the 3 hour stretch til his next feed.

I initially thought I wasn't feeding him long enough after reading Tracy's book, but now I just go with the flow and let him tell me when he has finished. He usually will come off the breast and refuse to take it again when I try to coax him for more.

Not sure about the DF. I also do one at around 10pm but wonder if it's necessary as he is very hard to rouse to even open his mouth at that point.

Offline naunmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 06:53:00 am »
It's been awhile ... ds is almost 3 now ... but I don't think the DF quite worked for me either.  I think if isn't broke, don't fix it.  In other words, if you are doing well without it ... then I don't think it's necessary to force it.  I think the DF is a good strategy if you need a way to extend baby's sleep longer into the wee hours of the AM.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 18:28:26 pm »
If he is sleeping that long for you, you may not need one. 10-15 min feeds are fine for 9 weeks old, as long as he is making it at least 2 hrs between feeds.

FWIW, I would aim for 12 hours of sleep at night if you can, so him sleeping until 8 am would be fine. (Unless you are waking him to get used to having to get up for day care or something later) If you prefer getting up at 7, you can always put him to bed earlier.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Micky R

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 23:58:24 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I know it was only one night with the DF, but he still woke at his usual times.  The DF didn't seem to extend his sleep but like I said, it was only the first night.  At least it didn't disrupt him like the previous attempts.  We'll keep trying it.  I do BF and coaxing him today to eat longer was very hard.  I'm trying to get him on the 3 hour routine instead of the 2.5 but he cannot stay active after his feeds for long enough.  I try to make sure he does stay awake for 15 -20 minutes but then we get past the window and he needs more help to fall asleep.  He does have gas problems and this often cuts his naps a bit short.  They are usually 45 minutes long but not much longer.  This makes it tough to go the to the 3 hour routine.  I don't think he's  needing to eat every 2.5 hours, but he certainly cannot be active or sleep long enough to be on the 3 hour.  We'll get it sorted.   Lots to learn in a short time.  I've tried eliminating things in my diet but nothing I eat or don't eat seems to help the gas.  We're okay with it, just makes things a little more difficult to be consistent.  At least he naps mostly in his crib, whereas before I held him for his first 7 weeks..Yikes!  Sometimes when he's got tummy troubles, I'll cuddle him a bit and he'll sleep a bit longer. (I know, I know, but he's in pain) He's not waking up to cuddle though, so I'm still okay.  We've got the basics down so when his tummy improves, we'll pretty much have it mastered.  (fingers crossed)  Thanks for the reassurance from everyone...We're slowly making it work.....Micky