Author Topic: EASY start time  (Read 1200 times)

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
EASY start time
« on: September 29, 2005, 08:58:12 am »
Hi - up until now DS has been going to bed after his toddler sister (7/7.30pm)and he is usually asleep by 8.15pm. This has been working for us as DD needs a lot of attention at bedtime and so does he. However would you advise I then start his day at 8am so that he ideally gets 12 hours. At the moment he wakes about 6am and will then go back to sleep sometimes for an hour sometimes for 2 and I've just been leaving him so I can get some extra zzzzs myself! When I go back to work he willl need to start the day at 7am like DD and his bedtime will come forward (goodness knows how!).

I'd like to have a formal start to his day so that his routine, such as it is at the moment, can have a start and finish time.

Your thoughts as always much appreciated :D

Jo
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

EASY start time
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 09:29:25 am »
This is just my opinion, but I would be inclined to let him sleep as close to 8am as possible so he does get the 12 or so hrs that he needs for now.  I guess there are a couple of factors: when will you be returning back to work and needing him to be up at 7am?  Also, as he gets a little older and coping with longer awake times and not as prone to melting down at bedtime, he's less likely to need a lot of separate settling time from dd - he may end up being the first to bed and then dd or mabe you will be able to bring them closer.  I've just oberved this with my two and dd goes straight to sleep now and my ds is now very easy to put down to bed so both are in bed at 7pm (it is tricky and fortunately DH is around most of the time so we have one each to sort out).  But if I'm on my own they are both bathed at the same time, dd is breastfed while I read to ds and then I put dd to bed and then return to ds (on the odd occasion I've been going back and forwards between their rooms resettling).

So I guess it kind of depends how urgently you need to get this sorted for an earlier wake up.  For now I'd just go with it until he's a little older and the situation will change naturally.

HTH

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
EASY start time
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 20:45:28 pm »
Thanks Nikki - it doesn't need to happen till the New Year so there's plenty of time for bedtime to get easier - here's hoping :wink: I think we will aim for DS going down first. DD is pretty good most of the time so I look forward to things coming together in time. And I'll aim for him getting the 12 hours at night as his daytime sleep is pretty poor :roll:
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005