Author Topic: how to cream milk?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« on: September 29, 2005, 14:39:43 pm »
My question in how do I get my milk creamer?

I used to have really really creamy milk but lately it has been really soupy.  What can I do about this?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
how to cream milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 15:31:56 pm »
Well, first you get out a whisk and a big bowl... :wink: Sorry!  Couldn't resist!!

Seriously, though - I think you mean that you're seeing less of the high fat hind milk that floats to the top of a bottle when you express? 

I found this on Kellymom.com about the fat content of milk:

Quote (selected)
A woman's breast really only makes one type of milk, the higher-fat milk that we typically think of as hindmilk. As milk is produced in the breast, the fat globules in the milk tend to stick to each other and to the walls of the alveoli (where the milk is made). Between feedings, milk collects in mom's breasts and gradually moves out toward the nipple, leaving more and more of the fat "stuck" further back in the milk ducts. The more time between feedings, the lower the fat content of the foremilk available to baby at the beginning of the feeding.

Once the let-down (or Milk Ejection Reflex/MER) is triggered (by baby's nursing, pumping, etc.), the milk is squeezed down the ducts until it becomes accessible to the baby. Milk production is not faster during letdown - the flow is simply faster. There are several let-downs per feed, although most mothers only sense the first one.

As the breast starts to empty, the fat globules begin to dislodge and move down the ducts (let-down facilitates this process). So the further into the feed, the higher the fat content of the milk, as more and more fat globules are forced out. The end result is that the milk gradually increases in fat as the feeding progresses.

This is what happens with the fat content in mom's milk - moms's milk gradually increases in fat content until the end of the feeding...the longer the time between feedings, the lower the fat content at the beginning of the next feeding. If feedings are closer together, you're starting off with a higher fat content.

So, if you're pumping, you might not be pumping long enough to get the fatty stuff out of your breast.  Also, a lot of moms find that in the morning, there's less fat because baby has gone for a long stretch overnight without feeding.  To get your milk creamier, you want to make sure you're really emptying your breasts - use breast compression, keep going for a bit even after the flow slows down.  But it also just might make a difference what time of day you're pumping!

[/quote]
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 22:45:19 pm »
Thanks!

WHen I pump I pump for 15 minutes and can only get one let down and it is about 3 oz (both sides combined) and all soupy.

Jency hasn't been eating for more then 10 minutes at a time and he keeps bobbing off and on during that 10 minutes.  I'm not sure he's getting enough.  Plus in the afternoons and some evenings (the times that he does this) he seems to want to eat every 2-2.5 hours.  But the days that he doesn't do that or times that he doesn't do that he can go at least 3 hours with out eating.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
how to cream milk?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 22:53:14 pm »
Have a Guiness beer.  People swear that it helps thicken up your milk.  Just drink it at least when it will have been 2-3 hours before you are due to feed your lo.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

how to cream milk?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 22:54:55 pm »
What time of day are you pumping? And what kind of pump are you using?  The electric ones tend to be better at emptying your breast. Even if he's eating for 10 min, he's more efficient than a pump so he's able to get more milk out.  Your milk supply tend to go down a bit as the day goes on, so some babies just naturally cluster feed or eat more often.  Are you making sure to drink enough during the day?  The best way to judge how much he's getting is his weight gain and the number or wet and dirty diapers. 

He's also about ready for the 3 month growth spurt... :D Plus around this age, they start getting more interested in the world and get very distractible while eating.  Have you tried in a dark and quiet room?
Erin

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 23:00:29 pm »
Well, I don't drink so I can't try the beer...too bad.

It depends on when I have time to pump as to when I pump.
I use and electric one and I still only get one let down.
I try to drink a lot and he is getting enough wet diapers but I would really like for him to be able to go 3 hours consistantly again.
He used to like clock work.
Plus when he goes every 3 hours or more he has less gas, less upsets, and sleeps longer at night.

Any ideas on what to do?

how to cream milk?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 23:11:25 pm »
As for the pumping, you'll get more if you do it about an hour after his first feed of the morning.  YOu'll also get more if you do it consistenty at the same time each day (not always easy to do, I know!), because it tells your breasts to create the milk at that time.  In the first couple of months, I know I had a lot more extra milk around, so it's easier to pump more, but around 3 months, most women find their supply settles in to what the baby is using.  So if you don't regularly pump that extra bit, your breasts won't think you need to produce that extra - see?

WIth respect to the sleep and going 3 hrs...are you sure he's hungry when you nurse him?  He might be getting into a snacking sort of routine if he used to go longer. First, I'd wait about 3 more days to make sure it's not a growth spurt.  I'd suggest using breast compression at each feed to make sure to really get him that hind milk - and try a room with few distractions (I have to get my dd right when she wakes and before we leave the room!).  Then, if you're sure a growth spurt would be over, see if you can hold him off until the 3 hr point again.
Erin

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
how to cream milk?
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 01:28:52 am »
He may still be having to up your supply from when you tried to go one-sided. You may need to keep feeding him more frequently until he can get that supply back. Make sure you let him completely empty one side, you can do breast compressions to push all the milk out of it while he is sucking. Only then do you switch him over to the other side. That way he is getting all that fat out on the first side. If you switch too soon, he gets lots of milk, but it is lighter at first letdown and won't stick with him as long.

Do you know what breast compressions are? From kellymom.com:

Quote (selected)
Breast Compression— How to do it

Hold the baby with one arm.
Hold the breast with the other, thumb on one side of the breast (thumb on the upper side of the breast is easiest), your other fingers on the other, fairly far back from the nipple.
Watch for the baby's drinking (see videos at http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html), though there is no need to be obsessive about catching every suck. The baby gets substantial amounts of milk when he is drinking with an “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck.
When the baby is nibbling at the breast and no longer drinking with the “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck, compress the breast. Do not roll your fingers along the breast toward the baby, just squeeze. Not so hard that it hurts and try not to change the shape of the areola (the part of the breast near the baby’s mouth). With the compression, the baby should start drinking again with the “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck. Use compression while the baby is sucking but not drinking!
Keep the pressure up until the baby no longer drinks even with the compression, and then release the pressure. Often the baby will stop sucking altogether when the pressure is released, but will start again shortly as milk starts to flow again. If the baby does not stop sucking with the release of pressure, wait a short time before compressing again.
The reason for releasing the pressure is to allow your hand to rest, and to allow milk to start flowing to the baby again. The baby, if he stops sucking when you release the pressure, will start again when he starts to taste milk.
When the baby starts sucking again, he may drink (“open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck). If not, compress again as above.
Continue on the first side until the baby does not drink even with the compression. You should allow the baby to stay on the side for a short time longer, as you may occasionally get another letdown reflex (milk ejection reflex) and the baby will start drinking again, on his own. If the baby no longer drinks, however, allow him to come off or take him off the breast.
If the baby wants more, offer the other side and repeat the process.
You may wish, unless you have sore nipples, to switch sides back and forth in this way several times.
Work on improving the baby’s latch.
Remember, compress as the baby sucks but does not drink.
In our experience, the above works best, but if you find a way which works better at keeping the baby sucking with an “open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth” type of suck, use whatever works best for you and your baby. As long as it does not hurt your breast to compress, and as long as the baby is “drinking” (“open mouth wide—pause—then close mouth type” of suck), breast compression is working.

You will not always need to do this. As breastfeeding improves, you will able to let things happen naturally. See the videos of how to latch a baby on, how to know a baby is getting milk, how to use compression at http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 14:38:13 pm »
He hasn't been napping good in the afternoons so sometimes I can't feed him right after he gets up,  it's easier though when I can.

I think he is in a growth spurt or something (he's sick too, I think) because he was up every 2 hours last night.  He has NEVER done this before so I figured I better feed him.  He ate pretty good for being as tired as he was.  Either thator he got too much nap time, would that happen?

I can't get him to go on one side for more then 5 minutes at a time (he used to go 15) because he pushes on me and moves his legs around like he's got gas.  I try to work it out but nothing comes.  Plus at night he won't burp for me or get the gas out so by 6:00am he is squirming all over the place and wakes himself up but he doesn't want to wake up so he cries and then he is grumpy the rest of the day.  I'll try the compressions today.  I'll try pumping in an hour as well.
He doesn't latch good (never has and the consultant said since he's gaining so good not to worry about it) and has been pushing on me so that he only gets the nipple most of the time.  I'm not sure why he started doing this.

how to cream milk?
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 16:57:16 pm »
Quote from: *Adria's1st*
He doesn't latch good (never has and the consultant said since he's gaining so good not to worry about it) and has been pushing on me so that he only gets the nipple most of the time.  I'm not sure why he started doing this.

Any chance you could see a different LC? A poor latch can create problems later on, even if they're gaining weight well at first - letting too much air in and giving him gas for one thing! I'm surprised she didn't address this... :x
Erin

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 22:58:51 pm »
Maybe someone on here can help or has hadthe same problem and fixed it.
He curles his upper lip in.  He also curls his bottom lip in but I have been working on that one and he doesn't do it as badly or as much.

What long term problems could he have because of it?

He does have alot of gas and I know that this is part of the reason.

Offline GraceKellysmom

how to cream milk?
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 00:43:18 am »
I still have to flip Max's lips out sometimes. He does it when he is teething, it is more comfortable for him to suck that way. But it makes me so sore - so I just stick my finger in and gently flip his lip out, every time. Gets a deeper latch that way, less air.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

how to cream milk?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 01:31:05 am »
Wow, I've learnt something about breast compression!  :D

I also need to flip Danielle's top lip out to get a good suction.  My ds was the same and his latch was terrible until I did that (for some reason all the reading and books only mention the importance of the lower lip  :? ).

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
how to cream milk?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 14:47:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

oh ya.
How many times a day should he be eating and for how long?
(like every 3 hours for 15 min each side???)

Right now he has started going every 3 hours during the day again he was doing anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on the time of day.
(he used to do a 5.5 hour stretch of sleep, 6 hr between feeds, but then he went to 4 hours and then two nights ago he was every 2 hours and last night was every 3 hours and he woke up in between the morning feeds)

Also he is onlyeating for like 10-15 min tops.  That's like 5 minutes eachside.  He pushes on me while he is latched and pulls on the nipple.
Is this a sign of a slow let down or him having gas or something.  If I take him off he cries.

Offline GraceKellysmom

how to cream milk?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 18:36:17 pm »
Hon, is there any way you could see a lactation consultant next week? There just seems to be a lot going on ... more than we seem to be able to help.

For now, he could be in a growth spurt. Listen to him and feed him when he is hungry, don't watch the clock. If he has one 2 hr cycle and one 4 hr cycle, so be it. If it is a growth spurt, he should settle down in a few days, and you may see a pattern emerging.

But I really think you should talk to a l/c. Have them check his latch, and discuss supply. They will evaluate your diet, exercise, sleep, etc, and make sure that he is getting enough. They can also talk to you about supplementing if you are doing that.

Beyond this, I highly suggest joining a La Leche League group. I love mine for the breastfeeding support, but also for the friendships I have made and the friendships for my kids.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies