Author Topic: Low milk supply  (Read 1429 times)

Offline hazbt25

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Low milk supply
« on: September 27, 2005, 08:58:53 am »
My daughter is 9 weeks old and I am worried my milk supply is not as it should be.  After feeding her on one side in the evening I tried to express some milk from the other side and only managed to get 1 oz.  I am worried my daughter is not getting enough milk, however she has been steadily putting on weight.  How much should i be able to express after a feed?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Low milk supply
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 14:53:54 pm »
Expressing is not a great way to judge your supply, unfortunately! Pumps are no where as good as a nursing baby at extracting milk, although some of the electric ones come close.  You said she's gaining weight well - how much?  And how many wet and dirty diapers does she have?  That and having a baby with nice alert and active periods are better judges of your supply.  Also, pumping in the evening, even if it's from the other side, will be a lot less than pumping in the morning, as your milk supply tends to drop during the day.  Have you ever tried pumping after her morning feed?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Megan1969

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Low milk supply
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 15:14:05 pm »
This might help - i found out by accident this afternoon....my girl is on the bottle but with about half my expressed milk and half formula.  She keeps falling asleep on the breast to the point where she is comatose after about 10 minutes but thats another story.......

today i tried to bf her - same old story.  Anyway i gave her the bottle and i expressed about an hour later.  i got an extra 40 or so mills from the breast she had sucked on for 10 minutes - heaps since the most i ever get from one breast is about 45 mills.  i have hired a hospital grade breast pump so not sure if that makes a difference.  Megan
Mother to Zoe Alexandra born Sept 05 & twins Abbey & Daniel born March 07

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Low milk supply
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 00:50:50 am »
Megan, I'm just wondering why you mix breastmilk and formula in the bottle?  Do you have concerns about low supply?  I just want to make sure you know that supplementing with formula can decrease your overall supply...  You also mentioned that your dd tends to fall asleep after feeding for a short time.  She's very young...how is she doing in terms of weight gain and number of dirty and wet diapers?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Low milk supply
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 01:23:48 am »
Here is a helpful article from Kellymom.com.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th