Author Topic: gotten rid of bottle too soon??  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
gotten rid of bottle too soon??
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:16:28 am »
Hello...

I got rid of ds daytime bottle at 12mths (as sugested by maternal nurse) and he has his daytime milk in a cup with straw..he fussed a little on the 1st day but was fine after that.

4 days ago i dropped his nighttime bottle and started to give milk in the nuby sippy before bed ...he didnt even fuss  :lol:

I was boasting to my mum on the phone 20mins ago that the bottle has gone....she was horrified saying that he is whey too young (just turned 13mths)

I am now questioning myself,,,maybe i have moved to fast in getting rid of the bottle  :oops: and should re introduce it.

I guess and just wanted to know what age did everyone else get rid of all bottles?

Thanks

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:22:46 am »
If he's taking milk in something else other than a bottle then stick to it.  I got rid of bottles at about this age too.  I read somewhere that you should aim to get rid of them at about 12months.  It's easier now than later.  Do you think your mother thinks you have stopped giving him milk to drink.

go with what you think is best.  I have a mother that sounds a bit like yours.  I feel i have to justify why I am doing things my way.

Alex

Offline ktmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:24:26 am »
I havent got rid of it yet DD is 14 months, but well done for doing it. If your Lo was traumatised by it then fair play it may have been too soon but as your lo has taken to the sippy cup then well done to you and your Lo. Thats one hurdle jumped!! :wink:

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 10:27:27 am »
Hi There,
I agree if it's gone, great. 12 months is the recommended age more or less and it gets difficult later on. We gave ours up at 6 months, not by my choice I might add  :roll:   and dd drinks practically nothing  :oops:

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:44:12 pm »
In the US, the recommended age to get rid of the bottle is usually 12 months so good job!  That's when we got rid of it too.  Just keep offering milk in the sippy and you're doing great!

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 13:26:35 pm »
I don't think it's a problem at all if they are drinking the milk!  John took all his milk from a straw cup at 8-9 months  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Samismum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 20:30:10 pm »
Thanks everyone for the reassurance.

I spoke to mum again and apparently she thought ds was too young as my sister had a bottle until 3 and my brother and i were 5!!! she got rid of our bottles by putting a snail in them and saying yucky yucky!!!  :lol:  :lol:

I explained that ds was actually taking slightly more milk (was just taking min before)...she was very proud of grandson being so advanced :wink:

Thanks ladies!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 02:40:24 am »
As long as he is still drinking his milk it doesn't matter where it comes from.  We dropped bottles at 12 months as well :D .

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 04:00:55 am »
I to got rid of ds's bottle at 12mths as advised by his doc.  So you are doing good. :D
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.