Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 1366 times)

Offline lolli

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 27, 2005, 13:23:18 pm »
Have just started reading some of the threads as I am new to these boards.  COuld someone please tell me what cluster feeding is? - thanks

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 14:50:35 pm »
Sure and welcome!  :D

Cluster feeding is basically feeding more frequently than you would normally feed during the day.  The idea is to squeeze in some extra calories to fill your baby up in the evening so that he/she can last a bit longer overnight.  Do you have Tracy's book?

For example, if your lo is nursing every 3 hrs during the day, then in the late afternoon/early evening, you might want to feed every 2 hrs before bed for 2 or 3 feeds, and add a dreamfeed around 10 or 11 (the idea with a dreamfeed is to slip the nipple in while baby is still asleep!) before YOU go to bed.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have more questions!  How old is your baby?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline lolli

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 18:15:33 pm »
Thanks Erin

My little boy is 14weeks.  He was sleeping all night 10 - 6ish until he got chickenpox a couple of weeks ago, he is getting over that but now has a cold/sore throat.  Have been looking at some of the EASY routines so I think I will start by giving them a try and see how we get on.  It is quite obvious that he is hungry/thirsty when he wakens during the night.

Was wondering if he is going to begin to need more than just breastmilk and maybe need to start weening him?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 18:54:09 pm »
The weaning process doesn't need to begin until 6 months old or later. Until then, breastmilk is the only thing he needs.

Highly suggest getting the book, that way everyone is on the same page.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Cluster Feeding
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 00:43:15 am »
Poor little guy! I hope he feels better soon... I want to second what Stacy said - I really don't suggest giving him anything other than breastmilk until he's 6 months old (if you have been thinking of cereal or something like that).  It's not recommended because their tummies aren't mature enough to digest it and breastmilk is complete enough until then.  And contrary to what some people say, solid food does NOT help them sleep through the night!
Erin

Offline lolli

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 08:05:58 am »
I would love to be able to keep him off solids until 6mths but I can't see it.  He was 10lb 5oz at birth and now at 14weeks weighs around 17lb.  My first son was about 18 weeks when we begun weening (at that time world health recommended 4months).  Hopefully we will get back on track over the next week or so.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 18:21:25 pm »
My ds was a big baby too. He just needed to nurse more often than the 4 hrs recommended. He stayed on 3 hrly from 5-7.5 months and finally hit 4 hrly around 8-8.5 months or so.

The WHO is recognizing that solids can damage a babies intestines when given too early. They simply can't digest the solids well, they get constipated or worse. The incidence of allergies/intolerances is lower when we wait too. Breastmilk is truly all they need, and when you nurse more often, you make plenty.

Max had problems when we did give him solids at 6 months, he started waking more frequently from gas pains. Can you imagine how awful it would have been if I would have fed him earlier?  :shock:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Cluster Feeding
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 22:39:55 pm »
The thing about needing to start solids because of weight doesn't really make that much sense when you think about it... What do we start with?  Cereal or maybe fruit and veggies. Not that many calories and quickly digested - much faster than breastmilk which is mostly protein and fat. You're supposed to wait until after 6 months to start protein solids like meat (I believe the rationale is that it can put too much stress on their kidneys too young to have such concentrated sources of protein), and protein is the type of food that is digested slower anyway.

I think a lot of people forget that for the first few months, solids are really just for practice and to get used to different textures and tastes - not for their caloric content or even for nutrition.  The only thing you really need to worry about in the first year (if you're breastfeeding) is iron, and that is only a concern after about 9 months, if they're not eating cereal or meat.

It's very possible to wait until 6 months with a big baby.  My friend's baby was over 20 lbs at 6 months (my dd isn't there yet and she's a year!) and she had no problem waiting - she was only breastfeeding - no formula and he was sleeping through the night.  So was my nephew.

All this just to reassure you that if you're determined to wait, then weight doesn't have to be a factor!  :D
Erin