Author Topic: 8 month touchy baby and noise  (Read 1710 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
8 month touchy baby and noise
« on: September 27, 2005, 14:16:24 pm »
Do touchy babies ever grow out of their sensitivity to noise?  If yes, at what age?  My dd still wakes up at slight sounds and also still cries if I or especially dh sneezes.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 23:09:05 pm »
I have no idea, I am fortunate enough to have an (ehem, .. spirited!) angel. But I can't believe you haven't been answered!
Someone please answer!

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 23:18:52 pm »
Well, Ella has never been that sensitive to noise but she did go crazy and burst into tears whenever something louder was turned on. The worst offenders being the blender, hairdryer and vacuum. It's only within the past month or so she's become okay with the former two but the vacuum still throws her. So the good news is she is outgrowing it! Sorry that's not a whole lot of help but... maybe you could try laughing after a sneeze? Or smiling and saying "oh look what daddy did! He sneezed!" and then imitate it? I guess what I'm trying to say is try to lighten it up a bit with happy voices and maybe she'll start to become less scared when it becomes a bit of a game...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 23:25:18 pm »
Oh BTW, whenever we sneeze, and ds looks concerned, we do a big  :D  and a  :lol: , and go "AH-POOH - look what Daddy did!"

That seems to make him forget the upset at the noise, and eventually gets a giggle (you have to do it a few times!)

HTH
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline arclarc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 21:40:27 pm »
Don't know if you still check this post, but I just read a article about sensory integration dysfunction.  If your touchy child is extreamly sensitive you might want to ask your ped. about it.

I do know that my ds was the same and he seems to be growing out of it.  I always "warn" him when I am about to turn on the blender or vacuum.  I try to immitate the sound it is going to make.  With the blender, I say "Julian zoooommm zoom zoommmm, and then do a silly booty shaking dance (while holding the top of the blender), which he thinks is pretty funny.

Once he figured out how to turn the vacuum off he was better with it.  Good luck.

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 19:19:25 pm »
oh, thank you for the info!  she still startles- usually now it is the disposal, vacuum, dh sneezing and sometimes me laughing (i can be loud :oops: ).
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05