Author Topic: eating nightmare!  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jasminesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
eating nightmare!
« on: September 27, 2005, 14:34:08 pm »
Help anyone!!!

My 20mth DD has always been a really good eater, except for teething times etc..., but suddenly last weekend she just decided to refuse any savoury meal that I offer her. I am not doing anything differently and am at my wits end as to what to do about it. On Saturday she ate absolutely nothing (I didn't offer puddings) but when it got to 4pm I gave in a gave her a yoghurt and a pear just so that she had something in her tummy. She does still have milk when she wakes in the morning and last thing at night and is ok with that.

The curious thing is that she is eating really well at nursery still. Also had problems with getting her to nap when she's with me (always been fine with napping too!) but now she has taken to screaming and then only sleeping maybe 20mins - max 1 hour (usually 2hrs). Also started to wake at 5.30am no matter what time she goes to bed!

This morning she went back to nursery and I stayed for breakfast time and guess what? She scoffed a bowl of weetabix and a banana!

I'm hoping that this is just her testing her independence and that it's just a phase - any ideas gratefully received.

She was poorly for a few days about 3 weeks ago -but was fine for about a week afterwards.

p.s. I'm not a soft touch!
Lisa and Jasmine x

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
eating nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 07:41:56 am »
I think it is just a phase they go through, where they test their mothers. I would just keep offering healthy food & she will eat when she is hungry.
You may find she is just going through a "developmental stage" & will be talking more or doing something new in the next few days.
Just remain consistent. Offer food you think is appropriate & let it be. Toddlers never starve themselves & can go days without eating, as long as she is drinking plenty, she will be fine. I have had days with my lo refusing food & then eating heaps afterwards... I think it is the peer pressure on why they eat at nursery.
If you don't already do it try sitting down & eating at the same time as her, that often helps.
Re the sleeping, just keep making sure you keep the routine consistant & it should just be a phase.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jasminesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
eating nightmare!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:22:04 am »
Thanks for the support  :) - I was beginning to think no-one out there had ever exerienced this one!!
Lisa and Jasmine x

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
eating nightmare!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 02:26:21 am »
I agree just keep offering healthy choices and if she is hungry she will eat.  My ds went through a similar phase and still does it occasionally. :D