Author Topic: How to stop the df  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Ilse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to stop the df
« on: September 21, 2005, 00:10:09 am »
OK - well I've been doing the df for a solid 8 weeks with Elijah, of which he'll sometimes take it sometimes not. His daily feed (he is bf and ebf)routine is 7am 11am 2:30pm 6pm and the df @ 10:30pm. Before df he use to only wake @ 1:30 and then 4:00am. Since doing the df he continues to wake @ those times for a feed and sometimes (more often then not) another feed in the middle of the night. He is gaining good weight and is contented after feeds. So I'm just wandering if it makes sense to drop the df given that he does actually take a feed? I thought I was making a smart move by starting it :cry:

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
How to stop the df
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:36:39 am »
How old is your lo?
The extra wakeups could be developmental (rolling etc) & as you are feeding on a couple of wakeups, I agree it could make sense to drop the df.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Ilse

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to stop the df
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:47:16 am »
Elijah is 4 months old. He has started moving his body around a lot more. Is there a smart way of getting rid of the df rather than going cold turkey?

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How to stop the df
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:24:30 am »
I've read that TH does not recommend getting rid of DF before 6-7 months until solids are firmly established, but unfortunately I don't have other insight to offer in your situation.  The way I cut them out was over a 2 week period where every night I pulled the DF up 15-30 min and reduced the feed by 1 oz.  Then I added that oz to the first meal of the next day, then the 2nd oz to the second meal of the day and so on.  When I got down to 1 oz by 8:30pm I just didn't give it to her.  It worked out really well!  Good luck!
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)