Author Topic: confused  (Read 1255 times)

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
confused
« on: September 27, 2005, 16:34:10 pm »
My baby will be 3 months on Sept 30th.
He used to eat every 3 hours on the dot but for the past 3 weeks he has been going spiratically anywhere from every 2-3 hours.
I thought it was a growth spirt but he has been keeping it up for so long.
Plus how ever he eats during the day (2 hours, 2.5 hours, 3 hours) is what he does after his long stretch at night.
Should he be going every 3 hours and moving to every 4 hours?
When should he move to every 4 hours?
Here's a curve ball...also when should he go to 2 long naps?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
confused
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 18:43:44 pm »
When he eats: Does he feed on one side or two? How long is he staying latched on each breast? How long is he actively suck/swallowing? Do you (if you have ever) feel your milk letdown? Is he on EASY?

Was he born early? Late?

Tracy says to listen to your baby - it sounds like he is saying I'm hungry! Every breastfed baby is different on when they change their routines. Some don't go 4 hrly until 8-9 months, some never do. Some nap two naps at 4 months, some don't until they are 10 months. Mostly it depends on how long they can stay awake and how big their tummies are.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
confused
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 22:21:27 pm »
He used to eat on both sides for 10 minutes each but then i tried doing the one sided.  So we have been doingthat for about a week.  But now he will only suck for 5 minutes and then sometimes suckle for another 5 and then he's done.  recently he has only been going 5 minutes and then starts playing.  he'll look up at me and start laughing and he won't go back on.  if i offer the other side he will suck for 3 minutes and then do the same thing.  i can feel my milk let down for the first one but i don't think i can for the rest anymore.  i used to.  We have tried EASY but his naps and feedings are so screwed up i can't get him on it.

thank you!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

confused
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 00:50:40 am »
It's hard to make changes like that in your nursing and in his cycle. Your breasts are used to double side feeding - that's how they produce, you trained them that way. So to switch to single side feeding, you will need to feed more often because he isn't getting the same amount of milk from one that he was getting from two. Make sense? Some women's breasts will "understand" and change - to make more on one per feeding. Some women's breasts will think, "hey, we don't need to make as much" hence the night wakings and more frequent feeding.

Other thing is that you are at a very distracted phase. Babies need quiet places to eat around this age, for you not to talk to them, etc. Since he isn't eating enough during the day, he is naturally wanting to eat more often and waking for feeds. Just odd timing with trying something new.

Maybe go back to your double side feeding (I have d-s-f since 3 months just fine), try to feed him straight off his nap when he is still sleepy before leaving his quiet room, and let him eat as often as he needs during the day to up your supply. If he isn't eating properly, do you have a pump that you could pump off your milk? At least your body will say, "make more!" that way.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
confused
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 14:38:51 pm »
Thank you so much!  That makes a lot of sense.
Yesturday I started having him eat the 5-10 minutes on the one side then I would burp him and top him off with another letdown from the other side.  He did really well when I started doing this.
He ate at 2pm and hardly ate anything (5 min on one side and 3 on the other) but at 5pm (didn't nap at 3pm) he was so tired but wasn't fussy just wantingto snuggle so I fed him and he was so excited to eat but hadn't cried or fussed to be fed yet.  Then I fed him at 7:00 and then after his bath at 7:45 (doing the both sides) and he slept until 1:30am!!
I think I will keep it up.  Thanks for letting me know that you do both sides.  I feel better about keeping that up now!

Offline GraceKellysmom

confused
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 18:31:05 pm »
Wow what a great night stretch! You sound like you're doing great!  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
confused
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 20:39:58 pm »
I just hope he keeps it up!
He went anywhere from 3-3.5 hours today!
But I am still going to cluster feed at night tonight.
I think that is what made all the difference.  I used
to feed his last two with an an hour of eachother and stopped doing that.
Last night it was with in a half hour of eachother.
I think I'll try the hour tonight, we will see.