Author Topic: Help, one side is not producing!!!!  (Read 1357 times)

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help, one side is not producing!!!!
« on: September 27, 2005, 17:39:54 pm »
My daughter is 6 months old and is nursing 6 times in 24 hours.  For the last 5 days or so one breast has been really lacking.  There is plenty of time for it to be full again when it is time for that side, but it isn't.  The other side is working like it should be.  I don't know what to do.  My eating habits haven't changed at all.  Please help!

Frances

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 19:15:31 pm »
Sounds like you are doing an excellent job.
What is your current nursing routine? Do you nurse on one side or both at each feeding? When did you first notice a problem?
Try this: Each time you sit down to nurse start on the lagging side first. Then switch when she has drained that side.

Offline franniesmith78

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 19:50:08 pm »
I currently feed one side per feeding.  It started about 5-6 days ago.  I thought maybe it was because I had a cup of coffee a few mornings during the week.  (Something I don't do)  So I haven't had any coffee for about 4 days.  That hasn't helped.  I switched feedings sides too.  So when she would normally be on the left I now have her on the right.  That hasn't helped either.  She basically eats every 4 hours with a DF about 10:50 and then one night feed, usually about 5:00.  We usually start our day by 7:30 or 8:00.  So she eats then, and again at 11:00 and again at 3-3:30 and again about 7:15.  Any help would be much appreciated. 
Thanks Frances

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 00:34:49 am »
I'm wondering why you think the one side is lacking? Is she acting hungry?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 20:58:48 pm »
Frances,

Sometimes there is nothing we have done that can cause one side to gradually have less and less milk. This is definitely not unusual, although you may not find it comfortable.

Some babies have preference and like one breast over the other one, thus less favored one starts producing less and less. Eventually one doesn't produce at all but baby can satisfy all his nutritional needs from the other one.
Also, breasts are usually not identical and one may have slower flow of milk and naturally over a time the difference becomes more visible.
However, if it happened so suddenly, and you are sure the one is really not producing enough, could you have it checked by OB or lactation consultant (preferably)? I would want to be on safe side and get somebody see it to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

Caffeine has an impact on our milk supply and cutting it down or eliminating should help but you may need to use some herbs to help you get back to normal. It is safe and recommended to take Fenugreek (you can find it in health food stores, in form of capsules).

Also, I wanted to tell you, if the worst happens and one breast dries up, you can still successfully nurse your lo. I have nursed my dd using my right breast practically from birth and I never needed to supplement and we are still nursing. Think also about nursing twins, one breast per baby.

You can make it. Let us know how things are going.

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 12:27:57 pm »
:o

Hi Frances

I have noticed the same thing my self. But my daughter is 8 days of 11 months so I only intend to go at least another month before giving up. I notice a lose of milk when I express of as I us to get 4 onces from the left and 6 from the right. Now I am only getting 2 from the left and 3 from the right. This change has happened over a month, so my milk supply has gone down by half my normal amount. My daughter feeds from both sides in the morning and before her bedtime and then another 4-8 times in the day from olternite side each feed and 1-3 times olternite sides in the night. I also try to get her to have 3 solide meals a day but most days is a fauld attempt.

I hope this has been helpful
Alison

mother of two: