Author Topic: Gas and sore tummy  (Read 1155 times)

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« on: September 28, 2005, 05:27:03 am »
Dd is now 5 days old, and for all her nights, except the first, she has seemed to suffer from terrible gas/sore tummy.  I don't remember dd#1 ever having this kind of pain.  Is this normal?  Why only at night?  What can I do about it?  I end up sleeping with her on my chest (lying on her tummy) but even then it takes ages for her to settle.  I end up sticking my finger in her mouth, as she seems desperate to suck, but doesn't want milk.  Does she need a dummy (paci)?  I am very reluctant to try one at this early stage (nipple confusion).  When feeding she does sometimes have a 'click' that I can't seem to get rid of - would this mean she's swallowing more air?  Any ideas?  It is so aweful to see her in this pain.

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
Gas and sore tummy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:08:50 pm »
sounds like a poor latch letting air in. Tomwas the same and had terrible wind. Its definatly worth getting help from a BF midwife or HV, even if your nipples arent sore (mine never were!). Tom turned out to have tongue tie, which we got fixed, but because I never asked for enough help(I thought I was wasting peoples time) Ive finally given in and stoped BF for all feeds but one (makes me very :cry: !) Ask for help and Im sure things will get better, I really enjoyed BF in the end dispite the trouble, so its worth perseviring asking for help, even if you only BF for a while,

good luck, i hope your LO feels better soon :)
Alison

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Gas and sore tummy
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 18:28:03 pm »
Hey Denise, are you using pillows to prop her up when you nurse? Try to get her to breast level, and make sure she has a good deep latch, even if you have to remove her and try again.

The gas can be bad around this age, especially at night when the world is quieter. Do your best to get all the burps out and try the pillows and latching to see if it helps.

Max sucked my finger until 6-8 weeks when he found his own, never would take a paci. I think the pacis are ok as long as you feed plenty often and aren't sore from them.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jsmith328

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 20:30:43 pm »
Hi,
My little one seems to be suffering from gas at night as well. He is six weeks old and he doesn't go back to sleep after his early morning feed. He used to go right back to sleep for a couple of hours but now if I'm lucky he only goes down for an hour and then wakes up and squirms like he has gas. I end up taking him to bed he contiues to sleep but squirms around every couple of minutes for an hour or so then will have some gas but won't go back to sleep. I've tried burping him and he seems to burp fine but still seems to suffer from gas at night. The paci is certainly ok as long as your baby continues to nurse good. I was so cautious about using one before 6 weeks but all my lo wanted to do was suck that I finally tried one and it made life a lot more enjoyable. He still eats fine from the breast and seems to knoe the difference b/c when he is hungry the paci won't do.

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:22:42 am »
Thanks ladies.  We seem to be getting better... last night she slept in her bed for the first time, all night!!  (except for feeds of course).  Burping seems to be better.  I am trying to burp her quite often, rather than just waiting until the end of the feed.  I know the latch probably isn't the greatest - trying to work on that.  At the moment with the very full breasts, it is a bit harder.  She keeps coming off as the milk is flowing faster than before (sometimes with some coughing etc), and then things are all 'slippery' to latch back on!  But I am just sooo pleased about last night, that these things seem do-able today!!