Author Topic: please help  (Read 1298 times)

Offline slaydragon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
please help
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:27:45 am »
:cry:

hello all , im new to this site and would like some advise. my ds matthew is 3.5weeks old and was born at 10lb 5oz. he is breastfed but is feeding every 2hrs day and night.
         the last few days he has been very demanding and last night fed every hr during the night . as you can imagine im exhausted.
          he slept at 3pm for 1hr and then did not fall asleep till 10.30pm after constantly crying and feeding he emptied both boobs. i dont want to give up but i need some advice on this as im desperate and exhausted.
thanks
love chrissy

Offline Kiwi

• New Zealand
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
  • My baby...
please help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 09:27:25 am »
Hello and welcome  :D
Congratulations on the birth of your son.

I didn't breastfeed myself but wonder if you are mistaking his tiredness for hunger?
I recall the first two weeks of DD's life was so difficult as I didn't know why she was crying etc etc. After reading Secrets of the Baby Whisperer I started on E.A.S.Y and everything worked out so much better, it took the guess work out of everything. Originally I was mistaking her over tiredness for hunger and it was just making it worse for the both of us.

I hope this helps somehow, and if not don't fear as there are plenty of other ladies here who are packed with helpful information  :D

Take care
Sandie  :)

Grier ~ 23 Nov 06 RIP darling

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
please help
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 18:24:28 pm »
I agree, it is nearly impossible to make out the difference between hungry and sleepy in the first weeks. How long is he eating? Does he eat off one side or both, how long on each?

There is a big growth spurt around 3 weeks old when they will eat and eat and eat, around the clock. If he is taking full meals at each nursing, this is what he is doing. Try to nap with him during the day and limit your activities for the next 24-48 hrs, eat and drink plenty. What he is doing by nursing so frequently is trying to up your supply. So no supplements during a growth spurt.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
please help
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 12:45:05 pm »
Hi their

I also agree with the other two posts as when my DD was first born it took me 6 weeks to learn the difference between her cries which made me feel so depressed and I also felt like I was fauling as she was my second born and second bf baby. Keep it up, it is hard work but we are always here to listen and help even if you feel that what you are putting is nonsense and silly put it up as it always helps.

It helps more to hear that you are not the only one who has gone through or going through the same as you are. Even though my DD is 8 days of 11 months she always wants bf and is hard to get her to take her solid meals even if they are pureed down to the consistence for a baby who is just starting to wean.

Chin up and I would not recommend an E.A.S.Y routine as I had to us this for my DS as he was a small baby so he had to be bf ever 3 hours to start of with and he refused to bf when he was 7 months as he wanted to play instead of feed and my milk supply was less with him with the E.A.S.Y routine then feeding on demand like I got to do with my DD and feeding on demand works better if the father is about as he also learns the difference between the cries then depending on the clock all the time as he will keep saying time to do the nappy now. and its time to get read to feed now.

Hope you find this helpful and reasuring that you can carry on bf until you are ready to give up or until baby shown signs they do not want bf anymore.
Alison

mother of two: