Author Topic: Biting  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Bridget Lambert

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Biting
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:09:57 am »
My 10 month old daughter is mostly on solids but still has a morning and night time breast feed.  In the last couple of weeks she has started biting.  I have tried taking her off and firmly telling her 'No' but - she laughs at me!  I think she thinks this is a great game.  If I refuse her the breast she cries until I give in and feed her again but I am now sitting taut in terror waiting for the teeth to sink in (she has 4 teeth so far).

I would like to keep breast feeding morning and night, at least for the next few months but I don't think my nipples can take much more.

Once the biting and chewing stops, she settles down for a good feed so she is still taking the breast.

Any ideas???
Mother to Eleanor, precious, wonderful but very wakeful (!!) baby (born 21/11/04).

stasztk

Biting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 15:42:48 pm »
Do you refuse to give the breast back when she bites?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Biting
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 18:36:34 pm »
Does she just do it until your milk lets down? You could try pumping or hand expressing until let down and then put her on.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Bridget Lambert

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Biting
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:35:09 am »
I have started refusing to give her the breast back.  Working on the principle that she is no longer hungry as she has stopped sucking and started biting!  Unfortunately I don't think she is trying to stimulate the let down.

I think I have been too quick to offer her the breast as a comforter as she only bites at night time when she does not want to go to sleep.  She has a good feed then feels invigorated!

Time for some re-training I think.
Mother to Eleanor, precious, wonderful but very wakeful (!!) baby (born 21/11/04).