Author Topic: Pinching and grabbing while feeding  (Read 1187 times)

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Pinching and grabbing while feeding
« on: September 28, 2005, 11:24:38 am »
Hi there!

My lo is now liking to grab and pull at my face while feeding, esp nose and lips, she also pinches (and bruises) my underarms kneading while feeding.  I have read that it is best not to react to these things but it so hurts sometimes.  Sometimes so much that my eyes water.  Any suggestions?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

stasztk

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 15:39:33 pm »
Maybe not everyone will agree with me on this but this how I got my little man to stop when he was little. I would say ouch! That hurts mommy! I wouldn't yell but I let him know that sort of play was not okay. It is up to us to teach them how to touch softly. If that didn't work (like when he was testing boundaries) I'd take away the breast. (Now if this doesn't work I wouldn't suggest you keep trying it.) This would always work for me. He'd see that he didn't get what he wanted when he hurt mommy. But he loved to nurse and having to stop was no fun for him.
Branwen, I wish you the very best. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 22:53:32 pm »
If it was really hurt, I would say ouch too - I couldn't help it!  But I found it helped to just gently move her hands away when they were pinching me and say "gentle hands" (my answer for every time she gets rough with anything!) and give her something else to "play" with while she was nursing to keep her hands occupied.  Sometimes if I sing to her while she's nursing it keeps her fixated and less fidgity and poking!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 04:33:23 am »
I was always saying "gently, please" and it slowly started to sink in. Now, whenever she gets to be rough, it is enough to say "be gentle'. I was also showing her what it means to be gentle, put my hands on her face and GENTLY cuddle her. Now if I say it, she immediately understands.

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 22:27:05 pm »
I think I'm having some success with all your tips everyone! Thanks!  I just remove her hand and say gentle. I used to do this more but I guess I need to be more consistent.  During A time I've also been gently stroking her facing saying "gentle gentle".  I think it is working as she hasn't dug in recently!!!! Thank god!!! :D
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05