Author Topic: Formula for baby with gas  (Read 1673 times)

Offline firstborn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2005, 14:26:01 pm »
Hi There,

We are trying to find a formula that will not give our 5.5 month old son more gas than he already has.  We had been using Nestle Good Start Iron Fortified with Omega 3 & 6 however he still had bad gas pains.  We are now trying Enfalac Regular.  It's only been two days but the gas has not improved at all.  The other thing is yesterday (after the first time using the Enfalac)  his stool was pasty.

He is also teething so I don't know if that has anything to do with him not being able to sleep or if it is all gas.

Thanks,

Kim

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
Formula for baby with gas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 18:27:49 pm »
For gas pains, we always used Mylecon.  Wal-Mart makes a generic version of it, and the drug is called Simethicone.  It's a harmless drug, as it is not absorbed into the body, but passes right through.
What it does is takes all of the little gas bubbles that are hard to expel, and forms them into a big gas bubble, making it much easier to pass.

I would try that first before switching formulas.  You can either put it directly into their mouth, or in their bottle (we always put right into their bottle!)

It works WONDERS! :D   There are many posts on here about gas pains and using simethicone.

Good luck!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline firstborn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 19:10:58 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  We have used gripe water, cocyntal (a homeopathic medicine) and oval ehich has the medication you mentioned.  None of these have worked really well.  The gas seems to build throughout the day and seems to be worst at night.  Would you give tylenol for the pain or just use the gas medicines?

Thanks,

Kim

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 19:20:52 pm »
I wouldn't give Tylenol, as I can't see how it might help with the gas.

This is from the Colic/Reflux and Crying board

Colic/Gas Massage Routine

Water Wheel- 6-12 times
-using the edge of your hand, start at the rib cage and stroke down through the abdomen. The touch needs to be gentle and yet somewhat firm.

Knees into abdomen. Hold gently for 15-20 seconds. Shake out legs.

Sun/Moon- 6-12 times.
-right hand just under the ribcage
-left hand under it on the abdomen
-move right hand from left to right in a half circle
move left hand from right to lef in a half circle

Knees to abdomen. Hold gently for 15-20 secons. Shake out legs.

Repeat this sequence three times. Do this twice a day for one to two weeks.

*****an important note... when working on the tummy ALWAYS go in the clockwise direction...the intensine moves in that direction.

Maybe that would help a bit?
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline thbriggs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:57:47 am »
For what it's worth we found that switching my daughter to Similac Isomil (a soy formula) helped solve some of her gas issues.  Unfortunately we are dealing with acid reflux even at 9 months and can't seem to solve this problem, but she tolerates the soy best.

Tiffany

Offline thbriggs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:12:22 am »
One other thing.  We had been using the Avent line of bottles, but found that Dr. Brown's helped cut back on the gas issues.  You might try switching.  They have an internal system designed to filter or vacume out the air bubbles.

Tiffany

Offline Lindy Loo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 11:56:09 am »
Hi

My son had very bad colic from birth and my health visitor put me on a formula called "Cow and Gate - Omneo Comfort".
Some of the enzymes are broken down which makes the food much smoother to digest.  It is a slightly thicker formula than normal so you need a faster teat for it but it made the world of difference to him.  I was also using the "Brown's" bottles for the first 12 weeks but am now on the normal Avent ones.
Not sure if you can get this formula or not where you are but there may be similar alternatives around.

Linda