Author Topic: Not enough ounces for 4 month Old....??  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« on: September 30, 2005, 19:52:14 pm »
My DS is just over 4 months old, and he has started having a bit of rice cereal 2X a day according to Dr.s advice. However, before I started the cereal, I have had a problem with him  taking anymore than 4ounces every 3 hours. So, I decided since he wasn't showing all THAT much interest in eating every 3 hours, I would extend to the 4 hour schedule, so he would eat 7-8 ounces every 4 hours....however that is not the case either. Every 4 hours he still only eats 4 ounces--and that is sometimes pushing it! SO, as a result he is awake 2 X during  the night, since he did not eat enough during the day. Anyone have any insight, or perhaps an example of their schedule for me to try out? Anything Im doing hasn't been working as far as moving closer to sleeping through the night, and eating more. FYI: weight gain is not a problem at all
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 21:06:43 pm »
What does your routine look like?  Can you post it so we can see?

When my ds was 4 mos old, he would only eat 4 oz at one sitting, and I believe we were either on or getting to a 4 hour EASY schedule.  If I remember correctly, he started sleeping through the night around the 4 month mark.  I also introduced the df around 3 months or so.

Post us your schedule, and we'll see if we can help!

Offline Intransit

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:42:23 am »
Lizwes' Schedule is as follows:(typically)
Ive just recently switched him to a 4 hour---so a bit in transition, but this will reflect the last week
Wake: 7:00 Am and eat 3-4 oz and 3-4 T rice cereal
Activity till 9 am(or as close to as we possibly can)
Sleep 9-10:30-11:00
Eat: 11:00 3-4 oz
Activity till 1 (or as close...)
Sleep 3:00-4:30-5:00
Eat 5:00 3-4 ounces and cereal again
DF @ 11 pm
Ive been playing with a cat nap anytime between 5-6 pm for 30-40 minutes depending on his signs etc...
Im at a loss though....any tweaking I try to do, whether it be keeping him awake later, or let him wake up instead of DF --dont seem to change the outcome of his waking up during the night--or the amount he eats during the day. I thought for sure if I prolonged the feedings to every 4 hours I would see an increase, but I really have not.
*Sarah*

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Not enough ounces for 4 month Old....??
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 01:46:04 am »
Hi,
Was he waking 2x a night on the 3hour schedule too?  Does he wake at the same time every night?  Does he drink a whole bottle when he wakes?  Sorry for all the questions, trying to help figure it out...  :D

Also...have you tried switching to a faster nipple :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Intransit

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 12:33:37 pm »
Thanks for your replies...The 2 night wakings are not an every night thing....but even when he was on the 3 hour easy it would occur. In fact, I think it occured more often about 2 weeks ago, which is another reason why I decided to switch him to the 4 hour easy as well. I have switched him to a faster nipple--see if that helps. When he wakes @ 2 or 4, he would drink 3-4 ounces, which is basically as typical feed for him. But for example, last night........he woke @ 2 and I gave him his soother, and he went back to sleep..........first time for everything I guess. And when he woke @ 4 am he only drank maybe 2 ounces, and went back to sleep quite easily. I had put him to sleep 30 minutes later than usual. I appreciate any feed back.
*Sarah*

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 14:13:51 pm »
Yay for going back to sleep with the soother.  Plus since he only took 2 ounces, it doesn't really seem that he is waking out of hunger.  I would continue to try that for when he wakes at night.  When he wakes, do you give him a couple of minutes to go back to sleep before going in.  I have to make myself watch the clock because 10 seconds feels like 10 minutes to me  :lol:   Also...it is quite common for babies to wake between 4-6 and play for a little bit, most of them will put themselves back to sleep.  If the soother or pat/sshh doesn't work after 15-20 minutes then I would feed him.  That is the time line I gave myself.  :D  Let us know how it goes.  One night waking at his age isn't uncommon  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 11:50:33 am »
Hi there

My DS is approaching 4 months and his feeding has been pretty erratic over the past 6 weeks or so.  Some days he would have 6oz bottles others only seems to want 3-4oz's instead.  His daily intake could be anything from 23oz to 34oz.

What I have done is given him a faster teat which seems to be making a big difference. He will still stop eating when he's full be it at 5oz or 7oz but he seems far more satisfied and has slept through for 12 hours the last 2 nights. He is also gaining steady weight so he's not over-eating cos of it.
Obviously it depends on your baby as you don't want them to gag by having the milk too fast but it has certainly helped me and him. (he was always a fast eater anyway - would take a bottle in around 5 minutes)

Good luck with everything
Linda