Author Topic: Short naps back again!  (Read 1069 times)

Offline FutureMKD@surfmk.com

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 28, 2005, 15:01:45 pm »
My 5 month old has been on a 4 hour routine and was napping for 1 1/2-2hrs morning and afternoon and a late catnap around 5:30.  Last week he started waking after 45 min.  I couldn't do PU/PD because he wasn't crying but happily playing for a long time in his crib (no toys or mobiles).  I can't get him up because it's not time to eat and if I do get him up, he's cranky.  Do I make him stay up until the next naptime?  Then he's very overtired.  This has messed up our routine.  He's also waking up at 5:45 for good.  Again, he plays happily & I don't go in until about 7am.  I can't do the PU/PD if he's not crying.

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
Short naps back again!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 16:09:12 pm »
Well, I'd say if he's playing happily in his crib then I'd keep him there until the next feed. As for when his next nap starts, I'd recommend keeping him up to within a half hour of his next nap. He's 5 months and shouldn't be drastically overtired by then. If he takes a 45 min nap, then it's 3 hours until the next nap; put him down at 2.5.

The reason for this is to keep with the biorhythm. It is set when he wakes for the day, and he's been use to taking naps at certain times of the day, so he's more tired by then. You still may get a 45 min nap for the afternoon, but at least you're keeping with the pattern you've established. Hopefully he'll fall back into it, unless it's time to keep him up a little longer between naps :)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005