Author Topic: Is it time to start solids already???????  (Read 1295 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Is it time to start solids already???????
« on: September 19, 2005, 00:17:30 am »
It's hard to believe that Natalie is 4 months old already, but there it is. She's pushing 16 pounds - it's hard to believe she got that way on breast milk alone, but there THAT is too! :)

At bedtime, her bottle consumption has gone up and up. Tonight she wolfed down 5 ounces, refused the breast (she's teething), so I ran out and pumped 3 more ounces and she practically inhaled that and I'm sure would have inhaled more. She HAD been at every 4 hours for feeds for a couple weeks, but the last couple days she's all over the place, and up every THREE hours at night for a feed (wakes early for the dream feed :?); once in a while she snacks, but more often than not she takes a full feed when she wakes. :shock:

I really had planned on exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months this time; by now Josie had had cereal in her bottles for a couple weeks on ped's advice for her reflux, so we did make it further, plus I've not quite had to use any formula with Natalie (although it's come close a few times! :?), so if it's time, it's time.

So, is she going through a growth spurt and is that what's messing up her schedule and her sleep, or is it time to give her more? We have her 4-month visit/shots on Tuesday, but I trust you ladies and your experience/advice!

Colleen

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:20:02 am »
deb -- I really would trust your instinct on this. :) Does she *seem* like she is needing more? By 4 months Griffin was ready for solids (we actually started a little before 4 months if I remember), but Dawson didn't need it until 5 months. Also, does she still have the protrusion reflex? That would be a big determining factor as well.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 13:20:00 pm »
Deb-
We went through a wacky (for lack of a better word) time - like what you're describing - right around 4 months, but Katie settled back down in about a week and we held off on solids until about 5.5 months when we started rice cereal.  Maybe give her a few days and see if she goes back to the way she was.

Offline ry,cait&alex

• Showing Appreciation 135
  • The Royal court
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 16:56:08 pm »
I started Cait on cereal this past weekend.  The child was starving.  And yes, she slept through night, but that isn't the MAIN reason I started the cereal, but I won't lie, I am ecstatic that she slept.  So, Colleen, I am glad to see you started Griffin a bit earlier....now I dont' feel like an evil mother feeding my child cereal.   :roll:

bj

Brandy-
Super Mommy to Ryan,Cait and Alex!!!!

Offline vix.1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 months and seems to be ready for solids
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 11:04:10 am »
Hi

Joshua is 13 weeks yesterday and weighs 16lb, he was sleeping happily from 6.15pm - 6.30am everyday.  However this past week he has been waking at 4.30 for a feed, he then has about 6oz and goes back to sleep.  On average he was taking about 40oz a day feeding every 3 hours (not including this new feed at 4.30am).  I am really unsure what to do.  Should I carry on feeding at 4.30am or is it perhaps time to give him a bit of baby rice.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Vicki